Chickpea and Spinach Curry is a flavorful one pot meal that’s ready in 30 minutes! Filled with fragrant Indian spices. Vegan.
- 2 tablespoons oil – something neutral like avocado oil or grapeseed oil. Coconut oil also works well with the coconut flavors in this curry.
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (13.5) oz can coconut milk
- 2 (15) ox cans chickpeas – use canned or cook them in your instant pot!
- 3–4 ounces spinach
- Cilantro, optional for garnish
In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add in the onion, jalapeno, and sauté until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add in the garlic, ginger and cook 1-2 more minutes until fragrant.
Stir in the tomato paste, curry powder, garam masala, cumin, turmeric, and salt cooking until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, chickpeas, and bring the curry to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook until just wilted, about 1 minute. Serve with rice or naan and cilantro.
Jalapeño: For a mild curry, remove the seeds and white membranes from the pepper before dicing. For a spicier curry, leave the seeds in or use a spicier chili!
Coconut milk: You can use light coconut milk of you’d like, but make sure it’s the canned kind, not boxed.
Spinach: In a pinch, you can use frozen spinach!
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 303
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 689mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: coconut milk, curry powder, garam masala, cumin, tomato, tomato paste, vegan, gluten free, healthy, Indian, spicy,