Instant Pot Chickpeas are less expensive and more flavorful than canned! Learn how to cook perfect beans at home in an hour!
- 1 1/2 cups dry chickpeas
- 6 cups water
- 1 shallot, peeled OR 1/2 onion, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the beans and water in your Instant Pot.
- Add in a the shallot, garlic, bay leaves, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cover, set the pressure to high and cook for 50 minutes. Let the beans naturally release for at least 10 minutes. (I usually let them naturally release even longer.)
- Vent the remaining pressure. Pro tip: drape a kitchen towel over the steam as it vents to prevent bean-juice misted cabinets! Remove the aromatics, drain the chickpeas, and enjoy!
If you soak your beans overnight: use plenty of water to cover the beans and soak them in the fridge. Adjust to cooking time to 12 minutes.
To store: Once your beans are cooked, place them in zip top bags, jars, or any lidded container. Store the amount you will eat within 1 week in the fridge. For longer storage, freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge or place the frozen beans right into soups!
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 121
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 268mg
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: garbanzo, bean, pressure cooker, shallot, easy, winter, summer, spring, fall, garlic, salt, bay