Gluten free sugar cookies that are light, fluffy, and spread generously with strawberry buttercream and sprinkles!
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 3/4 cups organic cane sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegan vanilla yogurt, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 batch Strawberry Buttercream
- Sprinkles, optional
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add in the egg, yogurt, vanilla and almond extract. Mix to combine.
- Mix in ½ of the flour. Add the remaining flour and mix until a dough forms and there is no stray flour. You may need to scrape the sides and mix again. Cover and chill the dough for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- While the cookies chill, make your frosting. Set aside at room temperature, not in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Using a 1 ½ tablespoon cookie scoop, or heaping tablespoon, scoop the dough onto the parchment, leaving at least 2 inches between the cookies.
- Dip the bottom of a glass in water and press down gently on the cookie dough to flatten slightly (see the video for an example). Repeat, dipping the glass into water between each cookie.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the edges of the cookies are barely starting to brown. Remove from the oven and let cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, frost with a generous amount of strawberry buttercream. Top with sprinkles and serve!
To speed up the cooling process, place the wire cooking rack on a sheet pan and place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
Keywords: vanilla, almond, buttercream, strawberry, sprinkle, Spring,