These Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies are ultra light and fluffy with melt-in-your-mouth icing. Made both vegan and gluten free!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup organic sugar
- 1/2 cup dairy-free vanilla yogurt (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend, (see notes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Frosting:
- 6 tablespoons coconut cream
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- A few drops of green food coloring or 3/4 teaspoon matcha tea powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick avocado oil and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. Set aside for later.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (hand mixer should work well here too!), add in the coconut oil and sugar. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in the yogurt, maple syrup, and vanilla extract and beat on medium to combine. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix again.
- Add in half of the flour mixture and mix on medium-low until combined. Add the second half of the flour and repeat.
- Take a heaping tablespoon of the dough and roll it into a ball. Place it on the prepared cookie sheet and use your hand to press down on the ball until it is an even disk shape, about 2 inches in diameter. Repeat with the remaining cookies. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Use a spatula to transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies are cool, add the frosting ingredients into the mixer bowl fitted with the whisk attachment (a hand mixer would work well here too). Mix on low until the powdered sugar is incorporated, then increase the speed to medium-high. Beat until the frosting is light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Spread a dollop of the frosting on top of each cookie. Top with sprinkles and serve.
Find the Gluten Free Cookie Flour recipe here.
You are probably wondering if you can use another gluten free flour blend that you have on hand. This flour blend was developed specifically with cookies in mind and varies quite a bit from other gluten free flour blends. Using another flour blend will cause the cookies to be dense instead of light and fluffy.
- Serving Size: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0