These Chocolate Lava Baked Oatmeal Cakes are a rich, chocolate-y breakfast that is secretly healthy and made with whole food ingredients! This cake is both gluten-free and vegan.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 c coconut milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 oz dark chocolate (divided)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and coat 4 ramekins with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, whisk together the oats, oat flour, cocoa powder, chia seeds, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Add this into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Using the microwave or a double boiler, gently melt 2 ounces of the chocolate. Add the melted chocolate into the batter and stir to combine.
- Take the remaining chocolate and cut it into 4 even pieces. (You can also combine smaller pieces into 4 even piles.) Stuff the chocolate into the center of the cakes, and use a spoon to cover them with batter.
- Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve.
This recipe can also be made ahead of time and baked the morning of. Follow the instructions through step 5 and then place the unbaked cakes into the fridge covered overnight. The next morning preheat the oven and bake the cakes.