This sauce is bright and fresh! It features classic Italian flavors like capers, olives, and rich tomatoes. It goes well with pasta, good crusty bread, polenta, quinoa, or your carb of choice.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil OR olive oil
- 1/2 onion (, chopped)
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves (, minced)
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 – 28 oz . can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash nutmeg
- 1 – 15 oz . can garbanzo roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers (, roughy chopped)
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/3 cup minced parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced basil
- Over medium-high, heat the avocado oil in a large skillet. Once warm add in the onion and red pepper flakes. Cook until the onion is softened and become translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, another 30 to 60 seconds. Add in the tomato paste and sauté, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until the tomato paste is very fragrant and has darkened in color. Add in the crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes, adding water if the mixture becomes too dry.
- Once simmered, add in the garbanzo beans, Kalamata olives, and capers. Simmer, covered, for another 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon zest and juice, honey, parsley, and basil. Serve over pasta or your favorite whole grain.