This hearty and comforting Vegan Tortilla Soup is an easy 30 minute weeknight dinner! This one pot meal is topped with simple homemade tortilla strips for crunch.
For the soup:
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 (14.5) oz. cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the tortilla strips:
- 10 corn tortillas (try this easy homemade recipe!), cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
More soup toppings (optional):
- Pickled jalapeno
- Diced avocado
- A juicy squeeze of lime
Make the tortilla strips:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the tortilla strips on a baking tray. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with chili powder and salt. Toss evenly to coat. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the strips are crispy and beginning to brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
Make the soup:
- While the tortilla strips are in the oven, start the soup. Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Once the oil is hot, add in the onion and jalapeno. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion has started to soften, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and chili powder and sauté for another 30 seconds to 1 minute or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve topped with tortilla strips and other desired toppings. Enjoy!