These easy Gluten Free Cherry Pie Bars have a buttery oat and walnut crust, jammy and sweet cherry layer, and a golden brown crumb topping. All while being vegan and dairy free.
For the crumble dough:
- 3/4 cup chopped almonds OR walnuts
- 2 cups gluten free oat flour
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
For the Cherry Pie Filling:
- 4 cups pitted cherries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 9×9 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Spread the almonds out on a sheet tray. Bake for 7 minutes or until fragrant and golden.
- In a bowl, whisk together the oat flour, quick oats and salt. Add in the maple syrup and coconut oil. Stir the mixture together, being careful to incorporate the coconut oil. Get in there with your hands if needed. The mixture should hold together when pinched and there should be no stray flour in the bottom of the bowl.
- Add in the walnuts, and stir to combine.
- Press 2/3 of this mixture into your prepared pan. Using an extra piece of parchment paper, press mixture down firmly into an even layer, pressing to get rid of any cracks and form one solid piece.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, add the frozen cherries into a saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the cherries are defrosted and the sauce is simmering. Use a potato masher to gently break the cherries into smaller pieces.
- Remove from the heat and add in the arrowroot starch mixture. Return to the heat and bring back to a simmer.
- Pour the cherry mixture over the baked crust and sprinkle on the remaining crumble. Bake, uncovered, for 14 to 18 minutes, until the topping is lightly firm to the touch. Let cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 45 to 60 minutes. Lift out the slab and slice it into squares or bars.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for several days, or wrapped up and stored in the freezer.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 234
- Sugar: 16g
- Sodium: 52mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: gluten-free, vegan, pie, cherry, crumble, crisp, healthy, coconut oil, bar, dessert, Spring, Summer,