This Hawaiian Sweet Potato Sandwich is a healthy summer barbeque recipe! This vegan sandwich is bursting with flavor thanks to two sauces! | CatchingSeeds.com
- 2 large sweet potatoes (, cut into 1/4 inch rounds)
- 1 small pineapple (, peeled and cut into rounds)
- 4 gluten free hamburger buns
- Handful of mixed greens
For the teriyaki sauce:
- 1/2 cup liquid aminos
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup no sugar added apricot jam
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic (, minced)
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon arrowroot starch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
For the Hawaiian Sauce:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (, soaked overnight)
- 1/4 cup no sugar added apricot jam
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Pinch salt
- In a saucepan, combine all of the teriyaki sauce ingredients, except the arrowroot starch mixture. Bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and whisk in the arrowroot starch and water mixture. Return to the heat and bring back to a simmer. Remove 2 tablespoons of the teriyaki for the Hawaiian Sauce and set aside.
- Light the barbeque and set it to high heat. Oil the grill grates and place the potato rounds over direct heat. Cook 7-10 minutes per side or until the sweet potatoes are softened and have good grill marks. Remove from the grill and place in a pan. Pour the warm teriyaki sauce over the hot potatoes and set aside to marinate.
- While the potatoes are marinating, place the pineapple slices over direct heat on the grill. Grill 7-10 minutes per side or until the pineapple is cooked through and has developed grill marks. Remove from the barbeque and set aside.
- While the pineapple is grilling, drain and rinse the cashews. Add them to a blender with the remaining Hawaiian Sauce ingredients. Blend until silky smooth. Set aside.
- Add the buns to the grill, cut side down, and cook until gently toasted, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from the grill and spread the Hawaiian sauce on both sides of the bread. Add a handful of spring mix to the bottom bun and then top with several sweet potato rounds. Top with a slice of pineapple and then the top bun. Serve immediately.
Keywords: teriyaki, healthy, pineapple, grilled, gluten free, vegan, dairy free, sauce, vegetarian, summer