These Jackfruit Taquitos are filled with decadent jackfruit that looks and tastes like vegan pulled pork! This healthy gluten free recipe is baked rather than fried for crispy exteriors without any of the guilt.
- 2 (20)oz cans jackfruit in brine
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 20 corn tortillas OR 8 Grain Free Paleo Tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Drain the jackfruit and using your hands, break it up into smaller, bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the nutritional yeast, chili powder, salt, smoked paprika, cumin, and oregano. Set aside
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the onion, and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add in the garlic and spice mixture. Stir to combine. Add in the tomato paste, stir to combine, and cook until the tomato paste has darkened in color and the spices become very fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, water, and jackfruit. Stir to combine. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce has thickened, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- If you are using corn tortillas, fill a bowl with nearly boiling water. Dip one tortilla in the water for 5-10 seconds to soften. Remove from the water and place on a clean kitchen towel. Blot to remove excess water and fill with a small line of the filling. Roll the tortilla up to form a long cylinder, like a commercial taquito. Place on the baking tray. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling. Line the taquitos up snug and touching one another. This will keep them from wanting to unroll.
- If you are using cassava tortillas, stack the tortillas up on a plate and microwave them for 30 seconds. Take one tortilla and fill with a small line of the filling. Roll the tortilla up to form a long cylinder, like a commercial taquito. Place on the baking tray. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling. Line the taquitos up snug and touching one another. This will keep them from wanting to unroll.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove and serve.