This pilaf is the perfect side dish for so many meals. I also like to top it with roasted veggies and a drizzle of dressing to make it into an effortless entree.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot (, chopped fine)
- 1 clove garlic (, minced)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts ((see notes))
- Chopped parsley for garnish (, optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pot. Add in the shallot and sauté until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add in the garlic and Italian seasoning and sauté for another 30 seconds. Add in the rice and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the grains of rice are coated with oil and begin to brown, 2-3 more minutes.
- Add in 2 cups of water and the salt. Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, for about 55 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all of the water. Remove the pan from the heat and fluff the rice with a fork. Place a clean kitchen towel on top of the pan and place the lid back on the pot, over the towel. Allow the rice to sit for 10 minutes. Stir in the pine nuts, top with parsley if desired, and serve.
To toast the pine nuts, bake them in a 350 degree oven for 7-10 minutes. Once you can smell them, they are probably done, but keep a close eye on them to prevent burning.