Homemade gluten free tortillas are easier and tastier than you can imagine! Recipes for traditional corn and paleo grain free tortillas.
For the corn tortillas:
- 2 cups masa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
For the grain free paleo tortillas:
- 1 cup casava flour
- 1 tablespoon whole psyllium husks (not psyllium husk powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 - 1 cup warm water
Whichever homemade gluten free tortilla you are making (corn or grain free), the idea here is pretty much the same.
- Add the dry ingredients to a bowl, pour in the water and stir until it forms a dough. You can start with a spoon, but towards the end, you will want to get in there with your hands to make sure it all incorporates evenly. The dough should have one homogeneous texture without any dry spots.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Cut off the top and sides of a zip top bag and lay it onto the tortilla press. This is the best method to ensure your tortillas don't stick to the press and drive you crazy. Plastic wrap can't hold a candle to a zip top bag, here.
- Roll the dough into a 2 inch ball. Place it in the center of the press and well, press. I like to rotate the tortilla a quarter turn and press again, then repeat this step until I have pressed all four quarter turns. This is completely optional, but I find it creates a perfectly even tortilla.
- Once you have one tortilla pressed, stop here. You want to press and cook each tortilla one at a time. Heat your pan over medium heat. Once your pan is warm, add in your freshly pressed tortilla. Cook on one side for about 2 minutes, flip and cook on the second side for 2 minutes. (You can play with the temperature of the pan to get your desired tortilla cookery. A hotter pan will add some char while a medium pan will give you a nice even color.)
- Transfer your cooked tortilla to a tea towel and wrap it in the towel. This will steam the tortilla which is an essential part of getting it to cook through. As you cook each tortilla, add it to the top of the pile and recover with the towel. Serve tortillas from the bottom of the stack first. You will notice they are the softest and most pliable.
- All that's left to do is fill your tortilla with whatever your heart desires and ENJOY!