These bites are filled with nutritious ingredients and promise to get you through the afternoon slump. They also work as breakfast on the days when I am running out the door.
- For the dry ingredients:
- 3/4 cup oats
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For the wet ingredients:
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the mix-ins:
- 3/4 cup nuts/seeds ((I used a mix of pumpkin seeds, chopped pecans, and chopped almonds))
- 3/4 cup dried fruit ((I used raisins and diced apricots))
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup flax
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine the almond butter, honey, and coconut oil. Heat over medium, stirring often, until the mixture is melted and smooth. Pour into the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Add in the mix-ins and stir until well combined – it will take a bit of elbow grease, but you want the mix ins to be evenly incorporated even though the mixture will be quite loose and crumbly.
- Form the dough into balls about 1.5 inches in diameter and line up on the baking sheet. Lightly press down on the bites to flatten them slightly. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cook on the tray for 5 minutes. Gently remove the bites onto a cooking rack and cool completely. Serve.