These bites are filled with nutritious ingredients and promise to get you through the afternoon slump. They also work as breakfast on the days when I am running out the door.
For the dry ingredients:
- 3/4 cup oats
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the wet ingredients:
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the mix-ins:
- 3/4 cup nuts/seeds (I used a mix of pumpkin seeds, chopped pecans, and chopped almonds)
- 3/4 cup dried fruit (I used raisins and diced apricots)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup flax
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine the almond butter, honey, and coconut oil. Heat over medium, stirring often, until the mixture is melted and smooth. Pour into the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Add in the mix-ins and stir until well combined – it will take a bit of elbow grease, but you want the mix ins to be evenly incorporated even though the mixture will be quite loose and crumbly.
- Form the dough into balls about 1.5 inches in diameter and line up on the baking sheet. Lightly press down on the bites to flatten them slightly. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cook on the tray for 5 minutes. Gently remove the bites onto a cooking rack and cool completely. Serve.
Keywords: oats, almond meal, brown rice flour, almond butter, honey, coconut oil, vanilla, nuts, seeds, pumpkin seeds, pecan, almond, dried fruit, raisin, apricot, coconut, chia seed, flax seed, vegetarian, whole grain, healthy, snack, bite, bar, cookie, gluten free