These Pumpkin Spice Latte Cornbread Muffins with Coffee Cream Filling are a crazy twist on a classic PSL. This recipe has all the flavors in a sweet dessert form.
For the muffins:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup nondairy yogurt
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
For the coffee cream:
- 1 can coconut cream (chilled overnight OR the cream scooped off of the top of two cans of full-fat coconut milk)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12 count muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, sorghum flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, yogurt, and coconut oil. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir to combine. Evenly distribute the batter between the muffin cups. Bake for 22-24 minutes or until the top of the muffins spring back when touched. Let the muffins cool in the tin for 5 minutes then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Once the muffins are cool, use a small knife to cut out a small circle in the top of each muffin. This is where we will dollop the coffee cream.
- Add the heavy coconut cream to a bowl, and using a hand mixer, beat the mixture until it is light and fluffy. Add in the maple and espresso powder and mix again until everything is well combined. Spoon a dollop of the cream into the hollowed out circle of each muffin. Serve immediately and store leftovers in the fridge.