Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce is an easy homemade sauce that is ready in 30 minutes! Free of tomatoes, but packed with Italian flavor. This homemade sauce is ready for your pasta, pizza, or to dunk a big slice of toasty garlic bread in in just 30 minutes!
- 4 red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 carrot (finely chopped)
- 1 stalk celery (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 –1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Place the oven rack on the top setting and set the oven to broil. Line up your peppers on a sheet pan and place them in the oven until the top is blistered and black, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the peppers and turn 1/4 turn to the next side and return them to the oven. Repeat until all sides are black. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pot over medium-high heat. Add in the onion, carrot, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent and the carrots are tender. Add in the garlic, crushed red pepper, oregano, and salt. Cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- When the peppers are cool enough to touch, remove the skin and seeds and discard them. Add the peppers to a blender with the cooked vegetables and broth. Blend on high until smooth. Return to the pot and heat over medium until the sauce is warmed through. Remove from the heat and stir in the red wine vinegar. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Serve with your favorite pasta!
If you need this recipe to be tomato free, be sure to use a vegetable broth that is also tomato free.