For the Tempeh:
- 1 package tempeh
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon smoky paprika
For the aioli:
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish
- 1 clove garlic (grated)
- 8 slices gluten free bread (toasted)
- 1 roma tomato (sliced)
- 4 pieces sandwich sized romaine lettuce
- 1 cup caramelized onions
- Add 1/2 of an inch of water into a skillet or pot. Heat over medium heat until the water simmers. Add in the tempeh, cover, and lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes. Remove the tempeh from the water and cut into strips. Set aside.
- Whisk together the maple syrup, liquid aminos, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke, and paprika in a bowl. Add the marinade and the tempeh into a zip top bag. Toss gently to coat and place in the refrigerator to marinade overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Line up the tempeh on the tray, reserving the extra marinade. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the tempeh from the oven and flip them over. Brush with some of the remaining marinade and return them to the oven for 15 more minutes. Remove from the oven and brush both sides with any remaining marinade.
- While the tempeh is cooking, whisk together all of the aioli ingredients and set aside.
- To assemble the sandwich, place the romaine on top of one slice of bread. Top with tomato and then tempeh slices. Slather the other piece of bread with aioli and top with caramelized onions. Put the two sides together and serve.
The caramelized onions can be made ahead of time. I always follow this recipe for perfect caramelized onions.