This Vegan Pot Pie Recipe is ultimate comfort food! The rich creamy vegetable filling and buttery flaky crust. Easily gluten free!
- 1 package puff pastry (2 sheets)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 cup peas
- 2 cups small broccoli florets - frozen or fresh
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened cashew milk
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter, optional for added richness
- Vegan egg wash or egg wash (for vegan egg wash, whisk together 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk with 1 teaspoon agave)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- If making your own crust, start that now. Cook the filling while the pie crust rests in the fridge. (Pie crust cooking time is not included in the pot pie cooking time.)
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add in the onion, celery, and carrots. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the peas, broccoli, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes until the flour coats the vegetables. Slowly pour in the milk while stirring. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the butter until melted. Remove from the heat.
- Roll out the puff pastry. For easy sizing of the crust, place the ramekins or pie plate on top of the dough and cut around the bases.
- Ladle the filling into 4 ramekins or soup crocks and top each ramekin with puff pastry. Press the dough to the outer sides of the dish to seal. Use the same method with the pie pan, but with only one large round.
- Brush with egg wash or vegan egg wash. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a sprig of thyme. Bake until the puff pastry is golden brown, about 30-45 minutes. Let the pot pie rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Flour: in place of the oat flour, you can also use equal amounts AP flour, a gluten free blend, or 3 tablespoons corn starch.
Milk: in place of the cashew milk, you can also use regular dairy, soy milk, almond milk, etc.
Crust: you can use puff pastry or pie crust in this recipe. Gluten free options for both work as well.
- Serving Size: 1/4th recipe
- Calories: 481
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 939mg
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: broccoli, pea, carrot, onion, garlic, celery, gluten free, pie crust, puff pastry, vegan,