20 Minute Potato Fried Rice – chewy brown rice and creamy potatoes are cooked in a fragrant gluten free & vegan sauce with sweet bell peppers, garlic, and scallions!
Grains of chewy brown rice, crispy creamy bits of potato cooked in a garlicky sauce until the edges brown and they have absorb all the sweet and salty saucy flavors. With flecks of sweet bell pepper and fresh scallions. Fried rice does not get better than this.
Reasons to love this recipe:
- Can we all agree, one carb is good, two carbs are great?! Adding potatoes to fried rice is a double win.
- One pot wonder. Oh how I love a one pot meal. Simple to make and simple to clean. All you’ll need is a large skillet.
- It’s vegan AND gluten free!
- Is packed with whole grains and fiber.
- Comes together in 20 minutes!
- Is made with pantry/fridge staples.
What ingredients are in Potato Fried Rice?
Fried rice is another great pantry staples meal! You’ll need:
- Brown rice – sub white, if needed/wanted. We also love the precooked rice packets for this recipe. You get to skip cooking the rice and make this dinner in 20 minutes!
- Potatoes – any variety. Gold, red, russet, purple, you name it.
- Green onions – a mild onion flavor. Can sub diced yellow onion or shallot.
- Bell pepper – adds great sweetness.
- Garlic – for building flavor.
- Coconut aminos – adds deep flavor without loads of salt.
- Liquid aminos – nice and SALTY! Can sub in tamari or soy sauce.
- Rice vinegar – a nice pop of brightness!
How to make Potato Fried Rice?
It all starts with a little oil, diced potatoes, chopped bell pepper, and scallions which go into a fry pan over medium high heat. Once the potatoes are halfway cooked, add in the garlic to sauté for a few seconds until fragrant.
Next into the pan is the cooked and cooled brown rice and the sauce. Keep the heat on high and cook until the rice is glossy, warmed through, and has absorbed all the flavors in the sauce.
Scoop into bowls and top with more green onions, if desired!
Tips for perfect vegan fried rice:
- Have all your ingredients ready to go before you start cooking – this recipe moves fast!
- Use rice that has been pre-cooked. Just cooked rice is starchy and will stick together, keeping the flavorful sauce from coating each grain and infusing it with flavor. We often have cooked rice in our fridge, but another trick I often use is to buy pre-cooked rice packets. No need to warm, just open the packet and add the rice straight to the skillet!
- Cook your potatoes halfway before adding the additional ingredients and when the recipe is done your potatoes will be perfectly tender, not overcooked and mushy.
30 Minute Potato Fried Rice – chewy brown rice and creamy potatoes are cooked in a fragrant gluten free & vegan sauce with sweet bell peppers, garlic, and scallions!
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut aminos, liquid aminos, and rice vinegar.
- Add the avocado oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is warm, add in the diced potatoes, chopped bell pepper, and scallions. Cook, stirrng often, until the potatoes are browned, but still firm in the center. You want them to be halfway cooked.
- Add in the garlic to sauté for a few seconds until fragrant.
- Add in the brown rice and sauce. Keep the heat on high and cook until the rice is glossy, warmed through, and has absorbed all the flavors in the sauce.
- Scoop into bowls and top with more green onions, if desired!
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 226
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 206mg
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 47g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: vegan, gluten free, brown rice, garlic, bell pepper, scallion, healthy, whole grain, easy, quick, Winter, Fall, Spring, one pot