BLT Avocado Toast is a breakfast packed with protein, healthy fats, whole grains, and FLAVOR! This simple recipe is made with sweet and smoky tempeh bacon.
Who doesn’t go crazy for a good BLT? Golden toasted bread, crispy smoky bacon, and a tomato so juicy you need 3 napkins before the sandwich is through.
Then add on some buttery avocado and make a few tweaks so that this perfect sandwich is healthy enough to nosh on for breakfast? YASSSSS!
Now, there’s one pro move you need to know about so that you can enjoy your BLT Avocado Toast even on the busiest of weekday mornings. Cook the tempeh bacon ahead of time and store it in the fridge.
Achieving the perfect tempeh bacon takes some time to get just right. It needs to marinade in the flavorful sauce – and the longer the better. Then after it has soaked in all the sweet, salty, and smokey flavors the marinade has to offer, it needs to get slowly browned to perfection.
Once you have this step conquered, all you have to do in the morning is mash on some avocado, top it with the pre-cooked tempeh bacon (pats self on back), slide on a tomato, and sprinkle with a little lettuce. Just like that, breakfast is served!
And while this BLT Avocado Toast makes the most killer breakfast, I tend to also eat it for lunch and a snack. And I would be lying if I said I’ve never enjoyed a piece (well, make that two pieces) for dinner!Print
BLT Avocado Toast is a breakfast or brunch packed with protein, healthy fats, whole grains, and FLAVOR! This simple recipe is made with sweet and smoky tempeh bacon, buttery avocado, juicy tomato, and crisp romaine lettuce. A quick meal ready in 10 minutes for weekday mornings.
For the tempeh bacon:
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons liquid aminos
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 (4 oz.) package tempeh, sliced into ⅛ of an inch thick strips
For the toast:
- 1 slice bread
- ½ of an avocado
- 1 slice tomato
- 1 leaf romaine, sliced into thin strips
- Salt and pepper
For the tempeh bacon (make ahead for faster mornings):
- Whisk together all of the ingredients except for the tempeh. Place the tempeh in a lidded container and pour the marinade over the top, making sure to coat each piece. Place in the fridge to marinate at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
- The next morning, add a little more oil to a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add in the tempeh in a single layer and cook until the bottom side is golden brown, about 5-10 minutes. Flip the tempeh and repeat on the second side.
- Add in the liquid from the marinade and cook until the tempeh has absorbed all the liquid and is shiny and sticky. Use immediately for your BLT avocado toast or place in the fridge for fast morning breakfasts.
For the toast:
- Add the bread to the toaster and toast until golden brown. Mash the avocado onto the bread. Season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Add on a few strips of tempeh bacon, the tomato, and the sliced romaine. Sprinkle with a bit more salt and pepper and enjoy!