This Lentil Loaf Sandwich combines meatless meatloaf, cranberry maple mustard, creamy garlic spread, and caramelized onions.
- 4 gluten-free hamburger buns, (or 8 slices of bread)
- 4 slices Butternut Squash Lentil Loaf
- 1/4 cup Cranberry Maple Mustard
- For the caramelized onions:
- 3 yellow onions, (sliced pole to pole)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- For the Creamy Garlic Spread:
- 5 cloves garlic, (unpeeled)
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 2 teaspoons liquid aminos OR tamari
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Pinch white pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wrap the 5 garlic cloves in a piece of foil and bake for 30 minutes, until very tender. Set aside.
- Over medium heat, heat the avocado oil in a large skillet. Add in the onions and sautee, stirring often, until caramelized, about 45 minutes. Add in the balsamic vinegar and stir to combine, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Once the vinegar has evaporated, remove the onions from the heat and set them aside.
- In a food processor, add the roasted garlic and remaining Creamy Garlic Spread ingredients. Process until very smooth. Set aside.
- To assemble the sandwich, spread each bottom bun with 1/4 of the Cranberry Maple Mustard. Top with the lentil loaf. Spread the Creamy Garlic Spread onto the top of the lentil loaf, and top with caramelized onions. Add on the spinach and top bun. Serve.