This Sharp Vegan Cheese Ball recipe is creamy, tangy, and surprisingly dairy-free! It gets topped with pomegranates, walnuts, and a drizzle of honey for the perfect holiday appetizer.
Today we answer one of life’s most important questions.
If a cheese ball has no cheese, is it really a cheese ball?
My vote, and the vote of everyone else who tried this Sharp Vegan Cheese Ball, is a resounding yes. This appetizer is creamy, tangy, spreadable, sliceable, and decidedly cheesy.
This Sharp Vegan Cheese Ball is made possible by two things:
- Raw cashews, which make this ball so impossibly creamy, and
- Two days worth of time.
This recipe might not be a quick one, but it is well worth it. And it’s mostly hands off.
The reason it takes two days is that our raw cashews need to soak in water overnight. This plumps them up and makes them soft enough to blend into a thick cheese mixture.
Once our Sharp Vegan Cheese Ball mixture is blended smooth, it needs to be wrapped in cheesecloth and left to cure in the refrigerator for another 24 hours. This allows the ball to set up into the ideal spreadable but still sliceable texture. It also allows all the flavors to develop creating a tangy, cheesy masterpiece.
Lastly, to make this recipe, you will need either a high speed blender or a food processor. This recipe uses instructions for a high speed blender, since I think it makes it a touch smoother and creamier. This other cheese ball recipe uses a food processor, and you can find those instructions in that post!
In the end, both contraptions will get the job done. Using a food processor makes it a little bit easier to get the mixture moving in the beginning. The blender yields a slightly thicker and smoother cheese ball. I say use what you have. Just make sure to keep blending or processing until your Sharp Vegan Cheese Ball mixture is as smooth as possible.
To cheese free cheese balls!
This Sharp Vegan Cheese Ball recipe is creamy, tangy, and surprisingly dairy-free! It gets topped with pomegranates, walnuts, and a drizzle of honey for the perfect holiday appetizer. This recipe takes 2 days to come together, so be sure to plan ahead! One creamy bite in and all that time will be well worth it.
- 2 cups raw cashews pieces ( soaked in water overnight)
- 1 tablespoon chickpea miso OR gluten-free mellow white miso
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic ( minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Pomegranate seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Drain and rinse the cashews. Add them into a high speed blender. Add in the miso, coconut oil, nutritional yeast, water, red wine vinegar, garlic, and salt. Process until super smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and line it with cheese cloth or a thin dish towel. Spoon the cheese mixture into the cheesecloth. Gather the corners and twist the top gently to form the cheese into a round ball. Place in the fridge overnight.
- The next morning, unwrap the cheeseball and form into more of a ball shape with your hands, if needed. Sprinkle on the pomegranate seeds, walnuts, and drizzle with honey. Serve with your favorite crackers.
For a soy-free recipe, use chickpea miso.
- Serving Size: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0