Tomato Cannellini Cassoulet with a homemade tomato sauce is bursting with comforting flavors! The DIY sauce is balanced by using canned beans to make this 8 ingredient side both easy and delicious. The dollops of dairy-free cheese on top add even more rich creamy flavor.
Get ready for some major comfort food! Buckle your seat belts, warm up your taste buds, get your pots and pans ready…. This Tomato Cannellini Cassoulet is full of warm and hearty comfort food flavors.
It all starts with a homemade tomato sauce. That’s right. Homemade.
Homemade can mean scary complicated with ten thousand ingredients, but today it just means an extra flavorful tomato sauce and opening up a few cans. Think we can do that? I KNOW we can do that.
Instead of relying on inconsistent and often flavorless winter tomatoes, this homemade sauce uses high-quality canned tomatoes. The flavor is big, bold, and consistent – perfect for making our sauce.
With our canned tomatoes we add in some onion, garlic, broth, and a few seasonings. Then we are just a simmer away from a perfect (easy!) homemade tomato sauce for our Tomato Cannellini Cassoulet.
Then to balance out our from-scratch sauce, we use pre-cooked beans in our Tomato Cannellini Cassoulet. We worked hard to create that flavorful sauce, so take a break and pop open a few cans of store-bought cannellini beans.
Cooking beans from scratch takes a loooooot of time, so balance out your hard work on the sauce with quick and easy pre-cooked beans.
Lastly, the cherry… er, cheese on top of this Tomato Cannellini Cassoulet is a few dallops of creamy cheese. The cheese adds flavor and richness.
This is where our Tomato Cannellini Cassoulet becomes a Choose Your Own Adventure (did anyone else LOVE those books as a kid?). You can pick to use store-bought vegan (or regular!) cream cheese, or add on a few dallops of almond ricotta that you might have leftover from this recipe.
To spoil the ending for you, both adventures end well.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 2 cans cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 4 oz Kite Hill (or other vegan chive cream cheese)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large sauce pot. Add in the onion and sauté until translucent, about 7-10 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add in the tomato paste and mix well. Add in the remaining ingredients, except the beans and cream cheese, stir and cover. Simmer the sauce for 30minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the sauce has simmered, add in the cannellini beans. Transfer the mixture to a 9×9 baking dish or four small ramekins. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with dollops of cheese. Serve.