Vegan Peppermint Cream Pie - a rich gluten free chocolate crust paired with a luscious creamy mint filling. Best eaten topped with copious amounts of coconut whip.
For the crust:
- 1 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/3 cup melted vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the filling:
- 3 (15) oz cans full fat coconut milk (two cans chilled in the fridge overnight)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
Crushed candy canes and cacao nibs for garnish (optional)
Before getting started, make sure to chill 2 cans of coconut milk in the fridge overnight.
For the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, stir together all of the crust ingredients until well combined.
- Pour into your pie dish and press it into the sides and bottom of the pan to create a compact even layer.
- Bake for 22 minutes. Remove and place on a wire rack to cool.
For the filling:
- Add the corn starch and 1/4 cup of the room temperature coconut milk into a sauce pan and whisk until there are no lumps.
- Add in the remaining room temperature coconut milk and sugar into the pan. Heat over medium, stirring constantly, until the mixture starts to simmer and thicken. You will know its done when the mixture is jiggly and you can see ribbons form when you drizzle the spoon over the top of the mixture. Remove from the heat and stir in the peppermint extract.
- Pour the custard into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, placing the wrap directly onto the custard to keep it from forming a skin. Transfer to the fridge to cool and set, about 4 hours.
- Next, grab one chilled can of coconut milk and without shaking, open the can. Scoop out the thick cream on top and place it in a bowl. Avoid any liquid, just use the thick cream. Using a hand mixer, whip the coconut cream into soft peaks. Place in the fridge to set for 4 hours while the custard is chilling.
- Once the custard has set and is cool, fold in 1/3 of the coconut whipped cream.
- Add in the remaining whip and fold until combined. Pour into the pie crust and place back in the fridge for 2 more hours.
- While the pie is setting up in the fridge, whip up the last can of chilled coconut milk into whipped coconut cream like in the previous step. Cover and place in the fridge to chill.
- When ready to serve, top the pie with coconut whipped cream and garnish with crushed candy canes and cacao nibs, if using. Slice and enjoy!
This is the best guide for how to make perfect coconut whipped cream!
You can use the remaining coconut water for smoothies or drinking.
- Serving Size: 1/8th pie
- Calories: 422
- Sugar: 16g
- Sodium: 90mg
- Fat: 37g
- Saturated Fat: 31g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: chocolate, mint, pink, coconut, dessert, vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, oreo, dairy free, Winter, Christmas