30 Minute Mexican Potato Bowls are a flavorful 10 ingredient weeknight meal! Fluffy potatoes, black beans, bright tomatoes and a vegan chipotle crema.
If you haven’t guessed it, we are in the middle of a 30 minute meal series I am affectionately calling 30 minute meal March! This series is a direct result of two things:
One: The reader survey DGV put out at the begining of the year! Thank you to everyone who participated and voted for more 30 minute meals (and to the person who voted for more salad meals, I see you!)
Two: Becoming a mom. Motherhood is REAL. I used to have over an hour to cook my heart out on weeknights before Reed came home. Now its a quick 30 minute snuck in between bath time and bedtime snuggles. I live, breathe, and eat 30 minute meals almost exclusively.
And todays Mexican Potato Bowls are a dreamy 30 minute meal that is always in rotation. The bold flavors would make you bet your bottom dollar that this meal was cooking all day long.
Just take a look at our all-star ingredient lineup:
- It all starts with fluffy, carby potatoes tossed in a smoky garlic seasoning blend
- topped with hearty protein-rich black beans
- a scattering of sweet and bright cherry tomatoes
- slices of buttery avocado
- fresh cilantro
- and a rich dairy free chipotle crema that I would proudly eat right off the spoon
How do you make Mexican Potato Bowls in 30 questions?
So glad you asked! I am jazzed about a few shortcuts that has us noshing on this hearty, yet healthy, bowl in minutes.
Shortcut #1: While I L.O.V.E. a roasted potato, steaming is the only way to go for this recipe. It gets the potatoes tender and fluffy in record time. Then a little post steam toss in my go-to seasoning blend creates mega flavor in minutes.
Shortcut #2: Our quick chipotle crema adds big time flavor in seconds with some pantry staples. All there is to do is stir together some creamy vegan mayo, chopped chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, a dash of sweet maple syrup to balance the spice, and lime juice to add a pleasant brightness. Drizzle away.
There we have it, a 30 minute, 10 ingredient, one pot wonder that is packed full of crave-able flavors from the potatoes to the crema. Happy weeknight eating, friends!Print
30 Minute Mexican Potato Bowls are a flavorful 10 ingredient weeknight meal! Fluffy potatoes, black beans, bright tomatoes and a vegan chipotle aioli.
- 6 cups chopped yukon gold or red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon Darn Good Seasoning Blend (or 1 teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder, and salt plus 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika)
- 1 (15)oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- A large avocado, sliced
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
For the crema:
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Juice from half a lime (about 1 teaspoon)
- Pinch salt
- Add the potatoes to a steamer basket, cover, and steam on high until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and toss them with the butter and seasonings.
- While the potatoes are steaming, chop your veggies and whisk together all the sauce ingredients.
- Divide the potatoes amongst four bowls, top with the beans and veggies. Drizzle generously with crema and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 489
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 1106g
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 61g
- Fiber: 14g
- Protein: 12g
Keywords: vegan, gluten free, tomato, crema, chipotle, lime, black bean, avocado, bean, cilantro, healthy, quick, easy, one pot, 10 ingredients or less