Sweet and Sour Tofu is a quick 30 minute meal PACKED with flavor. Tofu, pineapple, and veggies are coated in a paleo sweet and sour sauce!
- 1 batch of Healthy Sweet and Sour Sauce (takes 5 minutes!) OR, if you must, 1 cup store bought
- 1 block tofu, patted dry and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- Small onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped pineapple, fresh, thawed frozen, or canned all work!
- If you are serving with rice, start cooking that right away.
- Step ons is to make a batch of the sweet and sour sauce. It's as simple as whisking the ingredients together in a pot. Placing it over medium heat and whisking until it's thickened. 7 minutes tops! Instructions in notes.
- Next, toss the tofu with arrowroot starch to coat. Heat some oil in a cast iron pan (or nonstick) and once warm, add in the tofu, being careful not to crowd the pan. The tofu will stick together. Sear on each side until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add in the onion, bell pepper, and pineapple. Sauté until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the tofu back into the pan along with the sweet and sour sauce. Stir to combine and warm through. Serve over rice. Enjoy!
Sweet & Sour
1/3 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup ketchup (unsweetened ketchup for paleo)
4 tablespoons honey (for paleo) OR maple syrup (for vegan)
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon coconut aminos
2 teaspoons arrowroot starch
Whisk together all of the ingredients in a small saucepan off heat. Whisk until the arrowroot dissolves into the liquid and no lumps remain.
Turn the burner on to medium heat and cook, whisking often, until the sauce thickens.
Remove from the heat. Immediately use or store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe no rice, using Healthy Sweet and Sour
- Calories: 268
- Sugar: 27g
- Sodium: 124mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 9g
Keywords: vegan, pineapple, pepper, bell pepper, onion, one pot, easy, 30 minute, one pan,