Healthy Sweet and Sour Sauce is paleo, gluten free and can be made vegan! All the flavor without the refined sugar!
Reasons to love this recipe:
- All the flavor of sweet and sour sauce without refined sugar!
- Made with just 6 simple ingredients.
- Is paleo, gluten free, and can be made vegan.
- Stores well in the fridge — perfect for adding flavor to meals throughout the week!
Ingredients in this sauce:
- Pineapple juice – a tart and sweet base for our sweet and sour sauce! The juice from a can of pineapple works too.
- Ketchup – try this unsweetened brand to keep the recipe refined sugar-free.
- Honey – makes it paleo, or use maple syrup for a vegan option.
- Rice vinegar
- Coconut aminos – or sub half the amount of tamari.
- Arrowroot starch – or use corn starch.
How do you make sweet & sour?
This simple recipe requires just one pan! That’s ot!
In a sauce pan, off the heat, whisk together all the ingredients until the arrowroot starch has completely dissolved into the liquid and there are no lumps.
Turn the heat to medium. Cook and whisk often until the sauce thickens, which will usually happen before it boils if you are using arrowroot starch. Bring it to a simmer if using corn starch.
Remove from the heat and use immediately or store in a jar in the fridge for up to two weeks.
More delicious sauces to try!
Make and store a few sauces in your fridge and you will ALWAYS have flavorful additions to your meals.
- 10 Minute Green Garden Sauce
- Easy Maple Tahini Dressing
- Mexican Green Goddess Dressing
- Easy Sundried Tomato Jam
- 10 Minute Tahini Ranch Dressing
Healthy Sweet and Sour Sauce is paleo, gluten free and can be made vegan! All the flavor of a traditional sauce without refined sugar!
- Whisk together all of the ingredients in a small saucepan off heat. Whisk until the arrowroot dissolves into the liquid and no lumps remain.
- Turn the burner on to medium heat and cook, whisking often, until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from the heat. Immediately use or store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 97
- Sugar: 20g
- Sodium: 110mg
- Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 0g
Keywords: paleo, vegan, gluten free, vegetarian, pineapple, ketchup, rice vinegar, honey, maple, coconut aminos,