One pot Red Lentil Dal is a healthy and satisfying meal! Made with sweet potatoes and spices for depth of flavor.
Split red lentils, sweet potatoes, and fragrant spices simmer down to create a silky and flavorful dal. The result is a deliciously steamy bowl of saucy lentils and tender sweet potatoes over rice with a sprinkle of cilantro and juicy squeeze of lime.
It’s hearty, yet light. And comforting, but healthy.
Reasons to love this recipe:
- It’s as simple as can be! Just 2 steps, one pot, and 9 ingredients. Most of which are pantry staples!
- Super healthy, with loads of protein and fiber, but feels like comfort food.
- Leftovers are even better the next day!
- Is naturally vegan, gluten free, and made exclusively with whole foods!
What you’ll need:
- Split red lentils – they are quick cooking for a faster meal and create the perfect consistancy.
- Onion – to build flavor. Shallots would work too.
- Sweet potatoes – any type, yams, white, purple, etc. will do.
- Coconut oil – any oil you have should work here
- Garlic – ditto on the flavor.
- Curry powder – not traditional, but a quick way to get lots of spice flavor into the dahl without reaching for a dozen spices
- Smoked paprika – for an irresistible smoky quality
- Tomato paste – to add a welcome sweetness
- Bay leaves
How to make dal:
This red lentil dal couldn’t be simpler! We will start by sautéing our onion and garlic in oil.
Once softened, it’s time to add in the spices. Cook the spices, stirring constantly until they are fragrant. This step toasts the spices, waking them up, and enhancing their flavors. This happens quickly, in about 1 minute. So, watch closely.
For step 2, add in all the remaining ingredients. Give it a stir, place the lid on the pot, and bring the dal to a simmer. Cook, covered, until the lentils are soft and tender, almost breaking down into the sauce. The sweet potatoes should be fork tender. Stir well, ladle into bowls and enjoy!
Looking for more delicious lentil recipes?
- 20 Minute Curry Red Lentil Salad
- Vegan Lentil & Bean Chili
- Detox Lentil Soup
- Butternut Squash Lentil Loaf
- Baked Lentil Falafel
- Red Lentil Veggie Nuggets
- Cauliflower Lentil Salad with Tahini Honey Mustard
The solution to a hearty and filling weeknight Dal! Enjoy your favorite flavors and textures in just 40 minutes.
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil OR avocado oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups cubed sweet potato
- 2 cups split red lentils
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 ½ cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
Optional for serving:
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Toasted cashews
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add in the onion and cook until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Then, add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about another 30 seconds. Add in the curry powder and paprika and cook, stirring constantly until the spices are fragrant, up to 1 minute.
- Next, add in the sweet potato, lentils, tomato paste, bay leaves and water. Bring to a simmer and cover the pot. Simmer for 25 minutes or until the lentils are extremely tender. Add in the salt and stir to combine. Simmer for 5 more minutes. Remove the bay leaves and ladle into bowls. Serve with optional cilantro, lime, and cashews.
- Serving Size: ¼ recipe (no toppings)
- Calories: 173
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 41mg
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: curry, paprika, one pot, easy, cilantro, dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, soy-free, sugar-free, vegan, vegetarian