This gluten free Falafel Pizza is a huge falafel crust topped with Mediterranean condiments! This healthy recipe is an inventive way to enjoy all your favorite falafel sandwich flavors.
I have a great joke for you today:
So, pizza and falafel walk into a bar…
And they meet, fall in love, get married and have a baby. Their baby it named Falafel Pizza and it is the very best thing that has happened to food fusion since Korean Barbeque Tacos.
Okay, okay, so I am no comedian. That joke was downright terrible. Please accept this Falafel Pizza as an apology? Okay? Okay.
And trust me when I say that my Falafel Pizza making skills are much much better than my joke comedy.
It all starts with this crust. This magical crust that is literally just one GIANT falafel that bakes up sturdy enough to pile high with all of our favorite falafel condiments and eat with our hands.
So gather up your ingredients and pull out your food processor. Things are about to get falafel-y.
We basically use all of the normal falafel recipe suspects. There are garbanzo beans, fresh herbs, and spices. Plus, a few other ingredients that are still very Mediterranean-y and on point with our flavor profile, but help our crust really hold its shape. These extra ingredients allow us to use caned chickpeas instead of soaking dried chickpeas overnight, which is a win-win-win because when you have a craving for Falafel Pizza, who has time to wait OVERNIGHT?! Not this gal.
Once you have all your ingredients piled together, you add the onions, cilantro, parsley, and garlic to the processor and give them a whirl until they are a very small dice. Now a caution to you dried spice lovers, fresh herbs here are essential. They are the big fresh summer flavor component that is 100 percent necessary and needed here to achieve summer Falafel Pizza greatness.
After they get a good mince, just add in the remaining ingredients and pulse until a nice batter forms. Then the Big Tough Decision. Do you make one large falafel pizza crust? Or do you make two small pizza crusts? Do you share your large pizza? Or keep the entire small one to yourself? Which feels better? Which feels more right? What is your falafel loving heart telling you?
I usually opt for the smaller crusts since I get complete 100 percent control over the toppings. What if my dinner date does not like olives? What if they expect me not to eat onions? Those are the questions I cannot bear. A girl must go for the onions at all costs.
Now that your perfect Falafel Pizza crust is baked, it is time to talk toppings. We already know where I stand on the olives and onions, but there is a whole host of other toppings to choose from!
I like to use spread on a thick layer of hummus as the sauce and then layer on all the normal falafel accompaniments. Cucumber, tomato, fresh herbs, olives, sliced onion…
Food fusion at its finest.
This gluten free & vegan Falafel Pizza is a huge falafel crust topped with Mediterranean condiments! This healthy recipe is an inventive way to enjoy all your favorite falafel sandwich flavors.
For the Falafel Crust:
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 cup lightly packed cilantro
- 1 cup lightly packed parsley
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 cup flaxseed + 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
- Cherry tomatoes (, halved)
- Pitted olives
- Sliced onion
- Chopped cucumber
- Fresh parsley (, chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flaxseeds and water. Set aside to thicken.
- Add the onion, cilantro, parsley, and garlic into a food processor. Process until finely chopped. Add in the remaining ingredients, including the flax mixture, and process until the batter comes together and everything is incorporated.
- Scoop half of the batter onto one end of the baking dish. Shape it into a circle and smooth out the top so that it is an even 1/4 inch thick. Repeat with the remaining batter on the other side of the baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. To each pizza, spread on a layer of hummus, then top with onions, cucumber, tomatoes, olives and parsley. Serve.
Keywords: gluten-free, grain-free, oil-free, vegan