You will never believe this Kale Sweet Potato Chowder Recipe is secretly healthy! Find out the secret trick for thick and creamy dairy-free soup!
For me, chowder is ultimate comfort food. It is warm, creamy, satisfying, and has potatoes – a comfort food must in my book! A good bowl of Kale Sweet Potato Chowder is the perfect way to end a fall day, and I love creating spins on traditional chowder. About this time last year I created this Summer Squash and Sweet Corn Chowder, and it was a hit, but if I do say so myself, this Kale Sweet Potato Chowder takes the cake.
Sweet potatoes and kale are a match made in heaven. The sweetness of the potatoes is balanced by the slight bitterness of the kale. The red pepper adds a nice depth of flavor to the Kale Sweet Potato Chowder while the onions, celery, and carrots all help to flavor the soup. I love using a hearty green like kale in my soup recipes. It holds its shape well and doesn’t break down like its softer cousin spinach.
I think the real secret to what makes this Kale Sweet Potato Chowder so good is how impossibly creamy it is! Though the Kale Sweet Potato Chowder is vegan, it has a thick and creamy texture that can rival the best cream based soups out there. The trick is to peel and boil a potato until it is soft and then blend it with its starchy cooking water and a can of coconut cream. I was eating it by the spoonful straight out of the blender.Print
This Kale Sweet Potato Chowder is ready in under 30 minutes and is impossibly creamy. The secret to this dairy-free and vegan soup is the potato trick! Boiling a peeled potato in water and blending it with its cooking liquid and a can of coconut milk leads to an ultra rich dairy-free creamy soup.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium red potatoes, (peeled and cut into cubes)
- 1 medium onion, (chopped)
- 2 carrots, (chopped)
- 1 celery stalk, (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper, (chopped)
- 3 cups sweet potato cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt, (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper,
- 1 pinch smoked paprika or pimenton
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 4 leaves kale, (de-stemmed and torn into bite sized pieces)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Add the peeled red potatoes to a small sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Boil for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- While the potatoes are boiling, add the olive oil to a large soup pot over medium heat. Add in the onion and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in the carrots, celery, bell pepper, and sweet potato. Sauté until the celery is translucent and the other vegetables have started to soften. Add in 1 teaspoon of salt, the pepper, and the smoked paprika. Cook until the spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, add the boiled potatoes, and their cooking water, into a blender. Add in the coconut milk and blend until smooth. Pour into the soup and simmer for another 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and add in the kale and parsley. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes or until the kale has wilted. Spoon into bowls and serve.
Keywords: gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, soy-free, sugar-free, vegan