We are back today with a way back throwback to one of the first recipes I posted on the blog circa 2015. Though the photos of this Lemon Asparagus Pasta Salad should be left back in the past, this recipe is too good not to share again!
Salad is good and all, but salad that is approximately 80% carbs… thats the best kind of salad!
It is full of fresh spring produce like asparagus, basil, and spinach which give it a fresh and earthy feel. Like how the air smells after the rain. Earthy and sweet.
The lemon vinaigrette is a simple combo of olive oil and lemon. It makes the salad taste like sunshine.
Very springy, indeed.
Here are the team players in our Lemon Asparagus Pasta Salad:
- Pasta – I like a good bean based pasta since it stays nice and soft in the fridge. Brown rice pastas tent to harden up on me creating a not so welcome toothsome (read hard) texture.
- Asparagus – the fresher the better!
- Spinach – Popeye would be proud. Also, a delicious addition.
- Basil – ahhh… perfect and fresh and fragrant.
- Lemon – using both the zest and juice gives us a one, two punch of lemony goodness.
- Tarragon – the wildcard in this recipe that adds a slight licorice flavor. It makes the salad taste uber fresh and springy.
- Olive oil – the vinaigrette is so simple that it’s essential to choose a good olive oil here. It will add in so much flavor.
And I cannot wait to tell you that there are only two real steps to make this pasta salad.
First, cook your pasta and asparagus. I bring a big pot of water to a boil and first cook the asparagus, then cook the pasta. All in the same pot.
Then we stir together all of our dressing ingredients. Do this while the pasta is cooking to cut down on cook time.
Lastly, combine it all while the pasta is still warm! This makes the vinaigrette soak deep into the carby pasta and really infuse its flavors.Print
Lemon Asparagus Pasta Salad is full of fresh spring flavor! This recipe is packed with fresh asparagus, spinach and basil! The vinaigrette uses both lemon juice and lemon zest for a one two punch of fresh lemon flavor. Plus, each serving has over 17 grams of protein! Vegan and gluten free!
- 1 lb. asparagus, hard stems removed and cut into 2 inch lengths
- 8 ounces garbanzo bean pasta
- 2 cups loosely packed spinach
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil, chopped
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced tarragon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients until combined. Set aside.
- Prepare an ice bath, which you’ll need for cooking the asparagus, by filling a large bowl with cold water and ice.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a tablespoon of salt to the water. Once the water is boiling add in the asparagus. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the asparagus is cooked, but still slightly crisp. Remove the asparagus and plunge them immediately into the ice bath. Let sit in the ice bath for 5 minutes then drain and pat dry.
- Add the pasta into the boiling water (I use the same water that I cooked the asparagus in) and cook according to package directions. Combine the asparagus, noodles, basil, spinach and dressing. Toss to combine and serve immediately or cool down in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 370
- Sugar: 7.5g
- Sodium: 368mg
- Fat: 21.3g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7g
- Carbohydrates: 37.3g
- Fiber: 10.8g
- Protein: 17.1g
Keywords: easy, quick, spring, vegan, gluten free, vegetarian, healthy, spinach, basil,