Gluten free and naturally sweetened Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Cookies are a healthy lunch box friendly back to school recipe!
Back to school is here and is there anyway better to celebrate than with a few Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Cookies and a tall glass of almond milk?
I mean, sweet raspberry jam and sticky nutty peanut butter get sandwiched between soft oatmeal cookies which is enough to make this gal who hasn’t gone to school in years swoon over this classic sticky-sweet flavor combo.
Does anyone really outgrow PB&J? Especially when its served in the form of Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Cookies?
And these Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Cookies are lunchbox friendly. When you first bake the cookies they are crisp like a wafer cookie, but once you spread on the peanut butter and jelly and pack them into your little ones lunch, the cookies start to soften up from the liquid in the PB&J. By the time lunch rolls around, your kiddos will be biting into a soft and pillowy cookie sandwich.
And while I don’t have any kids to vouch for these cookies, when I send them in my husband’s lunch box, I can assure you that he is one happy camper.
For this round of Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Cookies, we use raspberry jam and classic peanut butter, but there are so many ways to mix up this combo! I’ve also made a more adult-friendly version with almond butter and fig jam. You could make these nut free with sunflower seed butter and strawberry jam. And what about pistachio butter and apricot jam? Somebody please make this delectable combo and report back. I am dying to know how that tastes!
Gluten free and naturally sweetened Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Cookies are a healthy lunch box friendly back to school recipe! Sweet raspberry jam and sticky nutty peanut butter get sandwiched between soft oatmeal cookies.
- 3/4 cup gluten free oat flour
- 3/4 cup gluten free quick cooking oats
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients. In a second bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir well to combine.
- Dump the dough onto a sheet of parchment paper and form the dough into a log that is about 2 inches in diameter. Roll the log up with the parchment paper (like a tootsie roll) and twist the ends to secure them. Place in the freezer overnight.
- The next morning, preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Slice the dough into 1/4 inch rounds and line them up on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Once the cookies are cool, spread half of the cookies with peanut butter, and the other half with jelly. Make little sandwiches with the cookies and place in the fridge until serving.
- Serving Size: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0