Spicy Roasted Red Pepper Soup is on the table 35 minutes! This paleo and vegan recipe is hearty, creamy, and sweet & spicy. Roasted red peppers add so much flavor!
There was once a time in my life where my love for roasted red peppers knew no bounds. I would come home after a long shift at work around 9:30pm. I make my way to the kitchen to whip up some well-deserved dinner.
But instead of popping a frozen burrito into the microwave, opening a can of soup, or digging into leftovers (all appropriate post shift 10pm dinner choices), I would commit to roasting up a bunch of bell peppers. After they were roasted black, blistered, and wrinkly, I would peel and seed them. The skins wipe right off after being roasted. Then drizzle them with olive oil, herbs, and pile them onto my plate.
While I wouldn’t say I forgot about my favorite roasted vegetable, I will say that there were years without a roasted pepper crossing my lips. It wasn’t until this summer, when I had a fridge chock full of peppers and no plans as to what to do with them, that I had a flashback to roasted red pepper nights past.
I made a plethora of my favorite roasted red pepper salad, but I also whipped up some Spicy Roasted Red Pepper Soup, and this soup was enough to make me fall back in love with this sweet and meaty roasted vegetable all over again.
As its title reveals, this soup is spicy, but not too spicy. And this is coming from the girl that has never ventured past 2 stars at any Thai restaurant. As a bit of a spice wimp, I like spice to add flavor to a dish, not overtake it completely. And this Spicy Roasted Red Pepper Soup is balanced with the sweetness of the roasted red peppers. The savoriness from the oregano and thyme, and a kiss of heat from the crushed red pepper flakes.
And the beauty of cooking for yourself, you can adjust the spice level of this dish to be right where you want it. Either dial down the crushed red pepper flakes to a 1/4 teaspoon, or bump it up by doubling the amount.
A big bowl of this Spicy Roasted Red Pepper Soup and a side of socca is everything I am living for right now.Print
Spicy Roasted Red Pepper Soup is on the table on 35 minutes! This paleo and vegan recipe is hearty, creamy, and sweet & spicy. Roasted red peppers add so much flavor!
- 6 red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 3 carrots (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Move your oven rack to the top shelf, as close to the broiler as possible. Set your oven to broil and line up the bell peppers on a baking tray. Broil until the tops of the peppers are blackened, about 5 minutes, turn the peppers over and broil for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- While the peppers are broiling, heat the avocado oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add in the onion, celery, and carrot. Sautee until softened, about 10 minutes. Add in the garlic, salt, thyme, red pepper flakes, and oregano and sauté for another 2 minutes. Transfer the contents of the pot to a blender.
- Once the bell peppers are cool enough to touch, use your hands to peel off the skin and remove the top and the seeds. Place in the blender along with the vegetable broth. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer the blended soup back to the pot and heat over medium to warm through, about 5 minutes. Serve.
Keywords: dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, paleo, refined sugar-free, soy-free, sugar-free, vegan, vegetarian