Spiced Pear Oatmeal - fresh pears, cinnamon, and maple syrup combine for a cozy Fall flavored breakfast recipe. Gluten free and vegan.
This Spiced Pear Oatmeal tastes like being wrapped up in a cozy blanket while sitting in your favorite oversized chair in front of a glowing fireplace.
It also tastes like sweet pears, sticky maple syrup, crunchy walnuts, and warm cinnamon. We're getting the picture. This is all the best flavors of Fall in one comforting breakfast bowl.
Reasons to love this recipe!
- Made in one pot with pantry staples!
- It's ready to serve in 20 minutes OR you can make a big batch as meal prep for the week.
- It's vegetarian, vegan, and can be gluten free.
Ingredients and substitutions:
- Rolled oats - use gluten free if needed. The recipe will not work if you try and use quick oats or steel cut oats. Stick to rolled.
- Milk - I used soy milk, but any milk you like would work. Almond, coconut, 2%, etc.
- Salt - to bring out the flavors.
- Pear - any variety. I leave the skin on, but you can remove it if you'd like.
- Walnuts - for texture and flavor! You could also use pecans or almonds.
- Maple syrup - naturally sweetens our oatmeal. Feel free to replace it with your favorite sweetener or increase/decrease it to taste.
- Cinnamon - adds delicious warmth. You could also use pumpkin pie spice.
How to make pear oatmeal:
Cook the oatmeal: Bring the water and milk to a simmer in a pot. Stir in the oats and salt. Cook until the oats are tender and creamy.
Add the pears: Remove the pot from the heat. stir in the pears, walnuts, maple and cinnamon. Cover, and let it sit for 1 minute to soften the pears.
Serve: Top the oatmeal with more walnuts, maple, and cinnamon.
This pear oatmeal recipe is great as leftovers! Store leftovers in a lidded container in the fridge for 5 days.
To reheat, stir in a splash of milk and warm on the store, stirring often, or in the microwave until warmed through.
When oats cool, they thicken so the extra splash of milk will help get then back to their original consistancy and reheat evenly.
How to make creamy oatmeal?
This pear oatmeal is ultra creamy. The secret? Using half water and half milk. It creates the perfect bowl of oats. I used soy milk, but you can use any milk you prefer.
If you're using a thinner milk, like almond milk or 1% milk, consider using more milk and less water to achieve a creamy oatmeal.
More easy breakfast recipes to make ASAP!Print
Spiced Pear Oatmeal is a simple and healthy gluten free breakfast recipe! Sweet pears, cinnamon, and maple syrup combine to make the best warming porridge.
- 2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- Pinch salt
- 1 pear, diced
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Add the water and almond milk to a pot and bring to a simmer. Add in the oats and a big pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the oats are creamy and have absorbed the liquid, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add in the pear, remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Remove from the heat and cover for 1 minute to let the pear warm through. Scoop into bowls and add an extra drizzle of maple syrup before serving.
Milk: I used soy milk, but any milk you like would work. Almond, coconut, 2%, etc. If you're using a thinner milk, like almond milk or 1% milk, consider using more milk and less water to achieve a creamy oatmeal.
- Serving Size: ¼ recipe
- Calories: 280
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 135mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: rolled oats, cinnamon, walnut, maple syrup, milk, vegan, healthy, breakfast