This Chocolate Cherry Smoothie is like having dessert for breakfast. It can be made in minutes, making it great for busy mornings.
Smoothies are 100% my weekday breakfast of choice, and this smoothie right here… absolute favorite!
It is like drinking creamy chocolate cherry dessert for breakfast without the guilt, because we sneak a liiiiiiiiiittle spinach in the blender.
Not a fan of green smoothies? It is undetectable, untraceable, and completely absolutely certainly hidden by all of the cherry chocolate goodness going on in this glass. I mean, can you see the spinach? Look deep into the glass…
Reasons to love this recipe!
- A super quick breakfast for getting out the door QUICK!
- Tips for making the greens undetectable – this smoothie tastes like dessert!
- It’s vegan, gluten free, paleo, vegetarian, and delicious.
Ingredients and Substitutions:
- Milk of choice – I use soy and oat most frequently. Dairy milk, almond milk, etc. all work. Use what you like! Add more milk for a thinner smoothie and less for a thicker smoothie or smoothie bowl.
- Spinach – a handful adds nutrients without changing the flavor – promise!
- Banana – previously peeled and frozen. This gives our smoothie a thick milkshake like consistancy.
- Frozen cherries – they add bright flavor and a rich color to our smoothie. Use sweet dark cherries, not pie cherries, also called tart cherries, which, as their name implies, are too tart.
- Cocoa powder – use cocoa powder or raw cacao powder for a nutrient and flavor boost. Feel free to add more if you like it chocolaty!
- Cocoa nibs – these are optional, but add a nice chocolate chip milkshake vibe. They are slightly crunchy and add a boost of chocolate flavor.
How to make a chocolate cherry smoothie:
Blend spinach and milk: Add the spinach and milk to the blender and blend until smooth with no flecks of spinach visible.
Add in the fruit and blend: Add in the frozen banana, cherries, and cacao powder. Blend until smooth using a tamper or scraping down the sides as necessary.
Pulse the cacao nibs: If using cacao nibs, add them in and blend for 10-15 seconds to break them up slightly without blending them into the smoothie and loosing their texture. Pour into a glass and enjoy!
Smoothies are best when consumed immediately, though it will keep in the fridge overnight.
For longer storage, consider making a freezer smoothie pack and tossing it in the freezer. Mornings just got even easier!
How to make a green smoothie (that no one will know has greens!):
The key to a green smoothie that NO ONE will know is green is blending the spinach into the milk before adding the fruit. This eliminates and flecks of spinach that might flat around in the smoothie otherwise.
Another trick is to use big flavors like cherry and chocolate to mask the flavor of the spinach – which is pretty neutral.
More quick breakfasts you’ll love!
- 15 Minute Chickpea Scramble
- Tropical Acai Smoothie
- Protein Overnight Oats
- Strawberry Smoothie Bowl
- Homemade Vegan Greek Yogurt – make ahead for quick breakfasts!
This smoothie is like having dessert for breakfast. It is rich and filling yet filled with vitamins and minerals. It can be whipped up in just a few minutes, making it a great weekday breakfast option. Be sure to freeze your banana the night before so that everything is ready in the morning.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup packed spinach
- 1 large banana, previously peeled and frozen
- 1 cup frozen dark sweet cherries
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs, optional
Add the spinach and milk to the blender and blend until smooth with no flecks of spinach visible.
Add in the frozen banana, cherries, and cacao powder. Blend until smooth using a tamper or scraping down the sides as necessary.
If using cacao nibs, add them in and blend for 10-15 seconds to break them up slightly without blending them into the smoothie and loosing their texture. Pour into a glass and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0