Dairy Free Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are fluffy, salty, creamy and a touch tangy. A hands-off one pot recipe infused with butter and cream cheese.
This one goes out to my mom and sis in law for making the best Thanksgiving mash I have ever eaten!
They were light and fluffy, slightly tangy, ultra creamy, and buttery. Trust me when I say these taters stole the show.
And not a person round the table guessed they were dairy free and vegan. Not one potato loving person.
How to make the very best Dairy Free Mashed Potatoes (Video):
Ingredient one: good dairy free butter. And the “good” part is very very important. Potatoes are Switzerland when it comes to flavor – neutral. Anything you add to them will shine. That off-tasting tub of butter will taste even offer when added to steamy potatoes. Choose a quality butter that is tangy, salty, and complex. I recommend my Easy Vegan Butter Recipe, Miyokos or Wayfare.
Ingredient two: dairy free cream cheese. This adds richness, creaminess, and a slight tang. It takes our mashed potatoes to the next level. I like my easy vegan cream cheese, Daiya, or Wayfare brands.
Our third and final ingredient: vegetable broth. This humble ingredient thins out our mashed potatoes giving them the perfect consistancy and texture. Non dairy milks tend to take over the potatoes with a slightly sweet or nutty flavor while vegetable broth adds a boost of savoriness making the potatoes taste even more like potatoes.
How to make mashed potatoes in the instant pot:
The Instant Pot (affiliate link) is swooping in to give us effortless mashed potatoes any night of the week.
First, you add your peeled potatoes to the pot. I like either russet or yukon gold potatoes here. Cover them with water and set the Instant Pot to steam for 20 minutes. Watch your favorite show, take a bath, catch up on laundry, or read while the Instant Pot does all the work.
Drain your potatoes and place them right back into the pot for mashing. That’s right. Not only are these potatoes quick and easy, their a one pot wonder. Give them a mash then add in your butter, cream cheese, garlic (if using) salt and pep.
Mash them around some more and add warm broth 1/2 cup at a time until our Dairy Free Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes reach your desired consistancy.
There’s only one thing left to do. Plate up. Top with extra butter and dive on into perfect mashed potatoes.Print
Dairy Free Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are fluffy, salty, creamy and a touch tangy. A hands-off one pot recipe infused with butter, cream cheese, salt, pepper and optionally, garlic.
- 5 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and halved
- 4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2/3 cup dairy free butter
- 1/2 cup dairy free cream cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- 1/2 – 1 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- Pepper to taste
- Add the potatoes to the Instant Pot and cover with 6 cups filtered water. Add in 2 teaspoons of salt. Cover and cook on the steam setting for 18 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain off the water and add them back into the instant pot (one bowl potatoes!) or into a large bowl.
- Mash the potatoes. Add in the butter, cream cheese, garlic (if using), and remaining salt. Continue mashing until potatoes are lump free.
- Add in the broth 1/2 cup at a time until the potatoes are your desired consistency. Season with pepper to taste and serve.
- Serving Size: 1/8th recipe
- Calories: 439
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 941g
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 51g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan, garlic, easy, side, russet, winter,