Eggnog French Toast is a secretly healthy and decadent gluten free and vegan breakfast! An easy Christmas morning recipe with just 7 ingredients!
- 8 slices bread (gluten free if needed)
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- Avocado OR coconut oil (for frying)
- Whipped coconut cream
- Maple syrup
- Extra cinnamon and nutmeg
- Whisk together all of ingredients except for the bread and oil. Set aside to thicken up for 10 minutes.
- Add a glug of oil to a nonstick skillet and place it over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, take one slice of bread at a time and dip each side quickly in the mixture and then let the excess drip off. Transfer it to the skillet and cook on the first side until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip the French toast and cook on the second side until golden. Repeat with the remaining toasts.
Instead of serving each piece of French toast when it is done, preheat the oven to 200 degrees and place the French toast directly on the oven rack when they are finished cooking in the skillet. When all toasts are ready, you can bring them out to the table all at once and everyone can eat together!
This Eggnog Recipe works great in this recipe! You can also use a store bought eggnog. If you need to keep the recipe soy-free, choose a coconut or almond milk based nog.
For a healthier twist, use whole grain bread in this recipe.