Are you guys seeing signs of spring yet?
Last night, I was walking to dinner and saw hundreds of teeny tiny jasmine blossoms lining the sidewalk as some evening sunshine hit my back. It was still a bit chilly, but SPRING!!!
I have heard that, well, some parts of the country might not be rejoicing with me in the beginnings of warmer weather, but are instead huddled inside after a freak late season skiff of snow, but hear me out. I have not forgotten about you! My solution: this smoothie bowl.
This smoothie bowl was inspired by my recent time in Texas where my diet consisted entirely of tacos and smoothies/smoothie bowls, cuz balance. My days went a little like this: breakfast - smoothie bowl, lunch - taco time, snack - a big frosty smoothie, dinner - as many tacos as I could eat, and repeat, repeat, repeat.
Basically the diet of my dreams.
I had done a little pre-planning before heading to Texas to ensure that I hit all the hot spots while I was there. My first breakfast adventure was going to be this unique smoothie bowl featuring strawberries and avocado as the base, with granola, cucumber, and mint as toppings. Green things on my smoothie bowl? Strange right? So strange that I had to try it.
I dutifully bounced right up to the door on Monday morning, and pulled. Nothing happened. The door didn't budge. They were closed. Cue Laurel wandering the Texas streets hungry and alone not sure what to do.
Cuz I needed a smoothie bowl, and my heart was set on you.
First thing I did when I got home? Whipped up my own version right here. This smoothie bowl is light and refreshing. Hearty and creamy from the banana and avocado in the base, crisp and fresh from the cucumber and mint toppings. Plus, the granola, sliced banana and strawberries bring crunch and extra sweetness to this bowl. Fruity, fresh, crunchy, and satisfying, so basically it's spring in a bowl.
So, if you need to add a little spring to your day, weather permitting or not, this one is for you.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, no nightshades, raw, refined sugar-free, soy-free option, sugar-free, vegan, vegetarian
This strange combination really hits the spot! It is fresh, creamy, crunchy, and satisfying. A great way to power up at breakfast time.
- ½ cup almond milk or soy milk
- 2 naval oranges ((one if it is really large), peeled and roughly chopped)
- ½ avocado
- ½ cup chopped English cucumber
- 2 ripe bananas (, previously peeled and frozen)
- 1 heaping cup frozen strawberries
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- Sliced strawberries
- Sliced cucumber
- Sliced banana
- Fresh mint
- Unsweetened coconut
- Add the almond milk, oranges, and avocado to a blender. Blend until liquefied.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. You may have to scrape down the sides and stir a few times. Pour into a bowl and cover with toppings of your choice.
Leave a Reply