Sweet Potato Hot Fudge Cake is the ultimate chocolate lover’s dessert! It makes it’s own hot fudge sauce as it bakes. This healthier recipe is gluten free, vegan, and oil free.
The first time I ever tried Hot Fudge Cake was at my cousin’s birthday. She too, is a dedicated chocolate lover, and I have her to thank for introducing me to the ultimate chocolate dessert: Hot Fudge Cake.
But, it wasn’t love at first sight. The cake was ooozing and so soft that it had to be spooned into bowls. It looked like an undercooked baking disaster. To please the cook, I cautiously scooped some of the saucy cake mixture into my bowl.
One bite in and I was hooked!
The beauty of hot fudge cake is that the top portion of the cake cooks into, well, cake, but the bottom creates a hot fudge sauce that coats the cooked cake and turns the whole thing into a dessert masterpiece. It is rich chocolate cake. It is warm hot fudge. And it all happens in one pan.
If Sweet Potato Hot Fudge Cake isn’t magic, I don’t know what is.
This Sweet Potato Hot Fudge Cake cake takes things to the next level. This cake is gluten free, oil free and vegan while still maintaining all the delicious flavor and texture of the original. Sweet Potato Hot Fudge Cake is slightly healthier and made so that anyone, despite their food allergies, can enjoy this chocolate creation.
In place of oil, this recipe calls for cooked sweet potato. The sweet potato keeps the cake moist without adding oil. It doesn’t interfere with the flavor. This Sweet Potato Hot Fudge Cake is all chocolate. Just how we like it :)
The making of this cake is a bit of a head scratcher. When you are stiring the batter, you will notice that it is too thick, but stay with it. When you spoon the batter into the pan and spread it around, it will look like you have way-way too little batter for this to possibly turn into a cake. But keep on keeping on. Sweet Potato Hot Fudge Cake is not far now.
Things get even weirder when you sprinkle the top of the batter with a sugar and cocoa powder mixture. Then you pour hot coffee all over the cake. If it looks like a mess, you are doing it right. Put that sad looking cake in the oven and 35 minutes later, you will be rewarded with the ultimate dessert. Mega chocolatey, gooey, divine Sweet Potato Hot Fudge Cake.
Look at that sauce.
Sweet Potato Hot Fudge Cake is the ultimate chocolate lover’s dessert! This easy cake makes it’s own hot fudge sauce as it bakes. This healthier recipe is gluten free, vegan, and oil free.
For the batter:
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup cacao powder OR cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the sprinkle:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cacao powder OR cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups coffee
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×9 baking dish with coconut oil spray. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the sprinkle ingredients and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the oat flour 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add in the mashed sweet potato, almond milk, and vanilla and stir to combine. Spread this mixture out in your prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle on the sugar and cacao mixture in an even layer. Pour the coffee over the whole cake. Place in the oven and bake for 35 minutes and then let cool for 10 minutes out of the oven. Serve.
- You can substitute the coffee for decaf coffee or hot water.
Keywords: gluten-free, oil-free, vegan