20 minute Umami Bomb Tofu is an explosion of savory flavor! Perfect in rice bowls, salads, wraps, lettuce cups, and tacos!
Other names I considered giving this tofu:
- Super savory impossibly delicious squares of FLAVOR
- The most flavor packed 20 minute meal on earth
- Kinda strange ingredients, but kinda magical flavor tofu
I eventually settled on Umami Bomb Tofu. It was the only semi-normal name I could give it that simultaneously conveyed just how much flavor these little squares pack!
Each piece of tofu is first browned to create a delicious crust for our sauce to cling to.
Next we add a trio of umami packed ingredients. A hefty hand of garlic, a few big shakes of tamari (aka gluten free soy sauce), a dash of sweet maple and a squeeze of mustard.
I totally get that this is a questionable flavor combo. Mustard with tamari?! Yes. Yes. Yes!
The tamari adds a deep savory salty flavor and the mustard brightens it up with a bit of tang. It makes the sauce creamy, it balances out the garlic, it is the reason this tofu is perfection. Sweet, savory, salty, MEGA umami perfection.
While I could eat this Umami Bomb Tofu straight outta the pan, here’s a quick brainstorm of other ways to enjoy it:
- In a rice bowl! Steamy rice, saucy tofu, any vegetables your heart desires.
- On a salad! With plenty of greens, some cucumbers, peppers, and a dash of rice vinegar.
- In a wrap! Tortilla, greens, warm tofu, and give it a roll.
- In lettuce cups! So crisp and refreshing.
- In a taco! Top the tofu with a nice Asian Slaw and some buttery avocado.
20 minute Umami Bomb Tofu is an explosion of savory flavor! It is a super savory combo of seared tofu tossed in a sauce with gluten free tamari, maple syrup, garlic and creamy dijon mustard. Perfect in rice bowls, salads, wraps, lettuce cups, and tacos!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 block extra firm tofu, cut into bite sized cubes
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 teaspoons maple syrup
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Place a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add in the oil. Add in the tofu and cook until the tofu is golden brown on all sides, about 10-12 minutes.
- While the tofu is browning, whisk together the remaining ingredients.
- Turn the heat down to low and add in the sauce. Stir the tofu continually until the sauce thickens and glazes the tofu, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve.
Keywords: Asian, soy sauce, gluten free, vegan, healthy, dairy free, vegetarian, garlic, savory, easy, quick,