Pickled Beet Hummus – sweet and sour pickled beets combine with creamy hummus for the most flavorful dip around! 5 ingredients and ready in just 15 minutes.
Today we take two very humble plain foods and turn them into the best dip we’ve ever tasted.
Chickpeas + pickled beets = hummus PERFECTION!
If you asked me how these two very unassuming ingredients can taste this good when combined, I honestly cannot tell you. This is some special kind of magic.
First, let’s chat flavor.
To get good flavor in our Pickled Beet Hummus, we have to turn to good ingredients.
We need a good nutty tahini, fresh lemon, and really really good pickled beets.
I know. You’re asking if there is such a thing as good pickled beets? Answer: Yes. Try looking for “fancy” pickled beets. They are usually in a glass jar and have warm spices like cinnamon and anise. Avoid the type in the can that made us all scrunch up our noses as kids. This brand is my favorite.
These fancy pickled beets added a sweet, pickl-y, sourness to the rich and creamy hummus that is flavor perfection.
Now, let’s talk texture.
As in the fluffiest, creamiest, most lusciously smooth hummus you ever have tasted. It has to do with the winning trio of, tahini, ice cold water, and the patience to blend blend blend.
At first your hummus will become a thick paste. But, once you add in the secret ingredient (aka ice cold water), you’ll magically see the hummus become creamy, light, and fluffy before your eyes. The way the tahini and cold water react create this irresistible texture.
Pickled Beet Hummus – sweet pickled beets combine with creamy hummus for the most flavorful dip around! 5 ingredients and ready in just 15 minutes.
- 1 (15) oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup chopped pickled beets
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2–4 tablespoons ice cold water
- Add all the ingredients, except the water, to a food processor fitted with an S blade. Process until the mixture becomes a paste. You may need to scrape down the sides as needed.
- With the motor running, drizzle in the ice cold water one tablespoon at a time. The hummus should transform from a thick paste to smooth dip. Serve and enjoy!
- The hummus should last for up to 1 week in the fridge.
Keywords: healthy, easy, quick, 15 minute, gluten free, vegan, lemon, dairy free, Mediterranean, vegetarian,