Avocado Tostadas with Cucumber Pico are layered with crunchy baked tortillas, creamy refried beans, buttery avocado and a bright and refreshing cucumber pico de gallo.
This post is sponsored by Pure Flavor®. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Darn Good Veggies!
Avocado tostadas! An easy, healthy, delicious weeknight meal that is quickly becoming a weekly staple in our house!
Crispy, home-baked tortillas are seasoned with salt and pepper to amp up the flavor. Baked until golden and spread with creamy refried beans. Optional cheese adds extra richness and buttery avocado takes it home! Just when it almost couldn’t get any better, these tostadas are lightened up with a refreshing cucumber pico de gallo that you are going to LOVE.
Reasons to love this recipe:
- These tostadas are a hearty and healthy 30 minute meal!
- Are vegetarian or vegan (your choice!) and naturally gluten free.
- You can make a big batch of the cucumber pico and enjoy it all week! On everything!
Ingredients & Substitutions:
- Tortillas – homemade or store bought. You can also buy pre-baked tostadas at most grocery stores, BUT baking our own allows us to add even more flavor!
- Olive oil spray – or another oil-based spray
- Salt and pepper
- Refried beans – any kind you like!
- Optional cheese – vegan or regular
- Pure Flavor® Uno Bites™ Nano Cucumbers – these small, ultra crunchy cucumbers are ideal for our pico.
- Onion – red or sweet are prefered
- Jalapeño – half a seeded jalapeño makes this VERY mild. To amp up the spice, leave the seeds intact.
- Lime juice – fresh squeezed is a must!
- Sugar – just a touch of sugar balances out the pico perfectly. Omit if you’d like.
How to make Avocado Tostadas:
Make the Pico: Chop the cucumbers into a small dice and combine them with the onion, jalapeño, cilantro, lime, salt and sugar. Set aside to let the flavors marinade.
Assemble: Smear a crispy tortilla with warmed refried beans. If using, top with cheese and bake until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Top with sliced avocado and cucumber pico de gallo.
This crunchy take on pico is the perfect topping for our avocado tostadas! Instead of tomatoes, the base of this pico is cucumbers.
The smooth beans, creamy cheese, and buttery avocado need a bright pop of refreshing crunch to balance the dish, and the cucumber pico is equal parts bright, refreshing, and crunchy!
My cucumber of choice here has to be Uno Bites™ Nano Cucumbers. They are incredibly crisp and have a strong enough cucumber flavor to stand up to the onion, jalapeno, and cilantro in the pico.
Healthier homemade crispy tortillas:
The foundation of these tostadas is the crispy tortilla. You can definitely buy them pre-made at the grocery store, but crisping them up at home gives us the chance to add even more flavor!
I take my favorite tortilla, spritz it with olive oil spray, sprinkle it generously with salt and pepper and bake it in a 425 degree oven until golden and crisp, about 10-12 minutes. Delicious!
If you have any leftovers, it’s best to store them separately, as individual components, in the fridge. Storing an assembled tostada will cause the tortilla to get soggy over time.
The cucumber pico stores particularly well for up to 5 days in the fridge! The flavors deepen and get better with time. Consider doubling the pico so you can enjoy leftovers all week!
More Mexican-Inspired recipe to try!
- 30 Minute Mexican Potato Bowls
- Potato Tacos – A Perry household fave!
- Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Healthy Vegan Taco Salad
- Beer Braised Jackfruit Tacos (gluten free option!)
Avocado Tostadas with Cucumber Pico are layered with crunchy baked tortillas, creamy refried beans, buttery avocado and a bright and refreshing cucumber pico de gallo. Consider making a double batch of the pico! It stores well in the fridge for 5-7 days and is great on everything!
For the tortillas:
- 4 corn tortillas
- Olive oil spray
- Pinch salt and pepper
For the Cucumber Pico de Gallo:
- 1 8oz container Pure Flavor® Uno Bites™ Nano Cucumbers, diced
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice, about 1 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup refried beans – any kind you like!
- 1/2 cup cheese, optional – vegan or regular
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line up the tortillas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Mist them with olive oil spray and sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Bake until golden and crisp, about 10-12 minutes.
- While the tortillas are baking, stir together all the pico ingredients.
- Heat the refried beans in the microwave.
- Once the tortillas are warm, spread each with 1/4 of the beans and top with cheese, if using. Return to the oven for 5 minutes to melt the cheese. If not using cheese, skip returning to the oven.
- Top each tostada with 1/4 of the avocado and cucumber pico. Enjoy!
For a vegan option, choose vegan refried beans and omit the cheese or use vegan cheese.
- Serving Size: 1 tostada (no cheese)
- Calories: 175
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 483mg
- Fat: 11
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
Keywords: corn tortilla, refried beans, cheese, avocado, cucumber, onion, lime, cilantro, jalapeño, salt, gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, 30 minute, easy, Spring, Summer