Potato Tacos, also called Tacos de Papa, have crisp seasoned potatoes tucked into soft tortillas and topped with a chipotle crema, avocado, and cilantro.
I still remember the time I tried my first potato taco. It was a small Mexican restaurant in San Diego and the first bite was magic. Fluffy potatoes, soft tortilla, what’s not to love?
This at-home-version features smoky garlicky potatoes that are first boiled until they are fluffy and tender, then roasted until the edges are crisp and golden, crusted in spice rub. They get piled high into steamy tortillas, topped with a sweet and mildly spicy vegan crema, bright cilantro and a juicy squeeze of lime.
Reasons to love this recipe:
- These potato tacos are naturally vegan and gluten free!
- Made healthier by baking the potatoes until crisp instead of frying.
- Healthy carbs on carbs… need I say more?!’
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Yukon gold potatoes – you could use red potatoes here too
- Garlic powder
- Salt – all these spices combine to form a flavorful seasoning for the crispy potatoes!
- Avocado oil – my preferred oil here, but use any kind you’d like
- Vegan mayo – This is my all time favorite trick for an easy and rich vegan crema!
- Agave – or maple syrup or honey
- Lime juice
- Tortillas – learn how to make them here! It’s surprisingly easy!
- Cilantro – for serving
- Avocado – ditto, for serving
How to make the Tacos:
Let’ get started on these potato tacos! (Also, authentically, called Tacos de Papa.)
First, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in your cubed potatoes and boil until they are fork tender. Drain, and let sit in the colander for a couple minutes. This allows the potatoes to steam themselves dry, which in turn, helps the spices adhere and form a nice crust.
Next, stir together the crema ingredients while the potatoes simmer. The mayo is a rich base and the chipotle adds smoky spice. Which the agave balances out perfectly with a bit of sweetness. The lime and salt bring it all together.
Whisk the seasonings together in a small bowl.
Spread the potatoes out on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper (optional for easier cleanup). Drizzle them with the oil and toss. Sprinkle on the seasoning blend. Toss again to coat well and spread the potatoes out into an even layer. Bake until golden with crispy edges.
Serve with warm corn tortillas, crema, avocado slices and cilantro. Enjoy!
More vegan taco recipes!
- Korean BBQ Jackfruit Tacos
- Tofu Scramble Breakfast Tacos
- 30 Minute Buffalo Jackfruit Tacos
- Sheet Pan Honey Chipotle Cauliflower Tacos
- Beer Braised Jackfruit Tacos
Potato Tacos, or Tacos de Papa, have crisp seasoned potatoes tucked in soft tortillas, topped with a chipotle crema, avocado, and cilantro.
- 4 cups cubed yellow potatoes, or red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
For the crema:
- ¼ cup vegan mayo, or conventional mayo
- 2–4 teaspoons liquid from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, start small if you’re sensitive to spice. Add more if you love it.
- ½ tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon agave, or maple syrup or honey
- Pinch salt
- 8 tortillas – try making them at home! Delicious!
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (optional, but great for easy cleanup!).
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in potatoes and boil until they are fork tender. Drain, and let the potatoes sit in the colander for a couple minutes. This allows the potatoes to steam themselves dry, which in turn, helps the spices adhere and form a nice crust.
- Stir together the crema ingredients while the potatoes simmer and whisk together the cumin, paprika, garlic powder and salt.
- Spread the potatoes out on the prepared sheet pan. Drizzle with oil and toss. Sprinkle on the seasoning blend. Toss again to coat well and spread the potatoes out into an even layer. Bake until golden with crispy edges, about 20 minutes.
- Serve with warm corn tortillas, crema, avocado slices and cilantro. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 2 tacos
- Calories: 342
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 397mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: tacos de papa, chipotle, crema, vegan, gluten free, smoky, paprika, garlic, avocado, easy, healthy,