Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup with Vegan Cheddar Toasts is a one pot recipe! This light dinner is dairy-free, gluten-free, and uses just a few simple swaps to keep in all the flavor, while making this soup a truly healthy meal.
Today is the day you can detox with CHEESE.
Just a big bowl of soup, a bazillion nutrients that your body will love, and all the flavor of broccoli and cheddar.
I may need to fact-check the bazillion nutrients statement, but I am sure it is close.
This Detox Broccoli Cheese Soup is filled with healthy ingredients and mega flavor. It is also dairy and gluten-free, making it a nutrient-packed recipe that will balance out the cookies and cocktails we had in December.
With a few simple swaps we can make this beloved classic soup into Detox Broccoli Cheese Soup.
Dairy is a major allergy concern for a lot of people. It happens to be a family allergy that I was so blessed to also receive, thanks mom. My mom gets ear infections, my sister has sinus woes, and I get tummy trouble when dairy is on the menu. It can also be a mucus forming (ewwwwww!) and cause our detox pathways to get clogged.
Instead of dairy cheese or a processed vegan”cheese,” we will use whole-food, unprocessed nutritional yeast in our Detox Broccoli Cheese Soup. Nutritional yeast is no stranger to this blog (exhibit A, B, and C) and when used correctly, tasted remarkably like cheddar cheese. It’s the perfect way to eat cheddar without cutting the cheese.
The cream in our Detox Broccoli Cheese Soup is also a simple dairy-free swap. Raw cashews make this soup luscious, creamy, and thick without the dairy. Instead of having to remember to soak cashews overnight, we add them right into the soup and let them simmer. As they simmer they soften and then break down when we bend the soup.
Then this is where things get even tastier: Vegan Cheddar Toasts! They are what make our Detox Broccoli Cheese Soup into a real meal – the perfect crunchy, cheddar-flavored, dunk-able compliment to our creamy soup.
For the detox-approved version: choose a good whole-grain bread for the base and use the nutritional yeast seasoning blend in the recipe to infuse them with mega flavor. The toasts will be crunchy, salty, garlicky, super easy, and irresistible.
For the non-detox times when you need extra cheese in your life version: make the toasts with whatever bread you have at the house. Use the nutritional yeast seasoning, and then rain down some cheese right on top of the toasts halfway through their cooking time.
Both delicious. Both easy. Just different levels of Detox Broccoli Cheese Soup.
Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup with Cheddar Toasts is a one pot recipe! This light dinner is dairy-free, gluten-free, and uses just a few simple swaps to keep in all the flavor, while making this soup a truly healthy meal.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 heads broccoli, chopped (including stems), about 4 cups
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
For the Toasts:
- 1 small gluten free baguette, sliced into toasts
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Whisk together the olive oil, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and white pepper. Arrange the toasts on a baking dish. Brush each side with the oil mixture. Bake the toasts for 10 minutes, flip, and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until they are golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- While the croutons are baking, add the oil into a Dutch oven or large soup pot set over medium-high heat. Once the oil is warm, add in the celery, onions, white pepper, and salt. Sautee, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are softened and the onions are translucent. Add in the garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Add in the broccoli and sauté until softened and bright green. Add in the broth and cashews. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return to the pot and whisk in the lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and extra salt, if needed. Serve with cheddar toasts.
Keywords: gluten-free, Grain-Free Option, vegan, vegetarian, cashew, paleo, winter, creamy, healthy,