How to Cook Jackfruit that is infused with flavor, tender and juicy, with perfect crisp edges. Aka, how to make jackfruit that tastes just like pulled pork!
The first person to imagine that jackfruit, a gigantic, spiny tropical fruit, could have the taste and texture of pulled pork was incredibly ambitious. And also 100 percent correct.
When cooked properly jackfruit is bursting with flavor, succulent and juicy, with crispy edges that can rival any barbecued pork on the market. When not cooked properly, jackfruit can be bitter, watery, and bland.
What accounts for the difference? Cooking technique and a flavorful sauce. Armed with the information in this tutorial, you can’t go wrong. Jackfruit we are coming for you.
How do you cook jackfruit (with the same texture of BBQ pork!)?
After years of testing jackfruit cooking methods, I am confident that we have landed on the one. It is a combo of perfect texture and maximum flavor without keeping you in the kitchen all day long.
1) Prep the jackfruit.
As simple as can be. Drain your jackfruit and add it into a bowl. Use your hands to break it into shreds that resemble pulled pork or shredded chicken.
2) Infuse flavor into the shredded jackfruit.
Once prepped, add the jackfruit to a nonstick skillet along with your sauce of choice.
If it is a thicker sauce like barbeque or sweet and sour, I recommend adding 1 part sauce and 1 part water (or beer, cider, juice, etc.). You want the sauce to be thin enough so the jackfruit can simmer in it. This not only deeply infuses flavor into the jackfruit, but it also tenderizes it for a juicy end result.
Simmer until the jackfruit has absorbed all the sauce.
3) Get the perfect texture.
Looking for the slightly crispy charred ends like on real BBQ? Transfer the jackfruit to an oiled sheet pan and bake in a 450 degree oven for 20 minutes to crisp up the edges.
What tools do you need to cook jackfruit?
What ingredients do you need to cook jackfruit?
- Canned Green Jackfruit in Brine (Very important that it is young, green, and in brine. Some varieties are in a sweet syrup.)
- Sauce of choice (We like BBQ, sweet and sour, any type of curry, and teriyaki).
More Jackfruit Recipes to make ASAP!
- Jackfruit Pot Roast
- Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
- Jackfruit Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Baked Jackfruit Taquitos
- 30 Minute Buffalo Jackfruit Tacos
If you’ve ever wondered what is the best way to cook jackfruit, this is your guide! This recipe is for jackfruit that is infused with flavor, tender and juicy, with perfect crisp edges. Aka, how to make jackfruit that tastes just like pulled pork!
- 2 (20)oz. cans Green Jackfruit in Brine
- 2 cups sauce of choice (if using a thicker sauce like barbeque or teriyaki, use one part sauce and one part liquid like water, beer, cider, or juice)
- Avocado oil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Drain the jackfruit and add it to a bowl. Use your hands to break the jackfruit into shreds that resemble pulled pork.
- Add the jackfruit and sauce to a large nonstick skillet. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the jackfruit has absorbed all of the sauce and the pan is dry, but the jackfruit is still moist.
- Grab a baking sheet and drizzle on some avocado oil. Use a paper towel to spread out the avocado oil and evenly coat the baking sheet. Transfer the jackfruit to the baking sheet and spread it out into one even layer. Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges are crispy. Enjoy!