A quick and easy Hummus Pizza recipe on a golden brown and crispy tortilla! Topped with creamy hummus and roasted vegetables for a healthy meal that feels like a treat!
This recipe in a love story: hummus meets crispy tortilla pizza and it is a match made in heaven.
The hummus is smooth, rich, and creamy and works as the perfect base for roasted vegetable toppings. The texture sorta mimics cheese, but in a whole new eye-opening kind of way. It is definitely a whole different situation, but a very delicious one.
The crust is ultra crisp (more on that later), perfectly golden, and sturdy enough to hold onto toppings. The roasted veggies add charred and sweet flavor for the perfect bite.
And if you happen to have roasted veggies prepped and in the fridge, this 30 minute meal can now be ready in 10!
How do you make vegan pizza without cheese?
Now, let's talk about cheese for a moment. Fake cheese to be exact. The kind made from soy, almonds, plant milk, tofu, etc. The kind that you buy prepackaged from the store. How do you like it? Sometimes I love it and sometimes I just can't seem to jump on the cheese substitute wagon.
If I can't have stringy, bubbly, melty umami goodness consumed in years past, I at least want flavorful, creamy, and comforting. It might take a shift in thinking, but these "pizzas" can definitely satisfy those cravings and really hit that comfort food spot. And hummus is the answer to a creamy dreamy cheese-less pizza.
What ingredients are in hummus pizza?
This hummus pizza couldn't be simpler! You'll need:
- A tortilla/wrap - I go for gluten free brown rice tortillas, but any tortilla that's roughly 10-12 inches in diameter will do!
- Olive oil - for creating an irresistible crispy crust.
- Hummus - our creamy dreamy base that functions both as a sauce and mimics a melty cheese texture. Loosely, but deliciously. I used my sweet potato hummus, but feel free to use your favorite store-bought or homemade recipe here.
- Roasted and fresh veggies of your choice - I used roasted cauliflower and shallots with raw brussels sprout shavings. Use what you like.
- I also topped with toasted pine nuts - optional, but a delicious crunch!
Feel free to let your creativity flag fly here, friends! There are endless topping combinations and hummus variations to be had. Let me know your favorites!
How do you make a crispy tortilla pizza?
The key to a great tortilla pizza is all in the crispy crust.
It needs to be golden crispy all the way through. Sturdy enough to handle all our toppings. I've tested tortilla pizzas many ways and there is one method that is the clear winner: the stovetop
Heat up a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Once it's warm, add in a tablespoon of olive oil. Place the tortilla in the pan and use a set of tongs to flip it from side to side coating both sides in olive oil. Keep cooking and flipping until both sides are a perfect golden brown.
Crispy tortillas are topped with creamy hummus and nutty roasted vegetables. A flavor explosion that is reminiscent of pizza.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 shallots, cut into small wedges
- 1 ½ cups sweet potato hummus OR hummus of choice
- 4 brown rice tortillas OR 3 Ingredient Grain Free Paleo Tortillas
- 8 medium Brussel sprouts, sliced into thin ribbons
- Pine nuts for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spread the cauliflower and shallots onto a baking tray and toss with 1 tablespoon oil, salt and pepper. Spread out onto a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for 20 mins until charred on one side and fork tender.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Add in one tortilla and flip it from side to side coating it in the oil. Cook, flipping occasionally, until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Place on a wire rack (to keep crisp!) and repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Spread the hummus onto each pizza, top with roasted veggies, brussels sprouts, and optional pine nuts. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 pizza w/o pine nuts
- Calories: 529
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 706mg
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 53g
- Fiber: 12g
- Protein: 12g
Keywords: dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free option, soy-free, sugar-free, vegan, vegetarian, pizza, tortilla, veggie, vegetable, easy, 30 minute, cauliflower, shallot, onion, brussel sprout, brussels sprouts,