Superfood Hot Chocolate is packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. This is a cup of chocolate that you can truly feel good about! Adaptogens and superfoods like maca and reishi add flavor and major health benefits to this recipe.
One of my favorite things in the world is a mug of hot chocolate. Steaming chocolaty creamy goodness that somehow makes everything in the world all right.
As a kid, I was a die-hard Swiss Miss fan. If it didn't come out of a blue box and have crunchy marshmallows floating on top, it wasn't real hot chocolate. Then to up the creaminess factor, I would add in 3 heaping spoonfuls of coffee mate. My cup would be halfway full of powders before I even added water.
I know, serious #healthgoals.
Nowadays, I've wised up and realized that hydrogenated powders may not be the best way to get my chocolate fix. But I will also never give up on my beloved hot chocolate. So, I fashioned this recipe for Superfood Hot Chocolate to scratch that hot chocolate itch. Which, for the record, happens just about every single day.
This Superfood Hot Chocolate is seriously chocolaty, incredibly creamy, perfectly sweetened, and healthy enough to sip at breakfast (I usually do!).
This cup of cocoa gets its superfood status from a few key players:
- cacao powder - just like cocoa powder but extra healthy and even more chocolate flavor!
- dates - a no sugar sweetener that tastes like caramel. mmmmmmm.....
- almond milk - no dairy. super creamy. winning.
If you just used these 3 ingredients, your Superfood Hot Chocolate will be super nutritious and increadibly tasty! But, the hippie in me likes to add in some extra herbs for even more benefits. These adaptogen powders are tasteless when added to rich hot chocolate and can seriously boost your health.
Here are a few of my favorite additions to our Superfood Hot Chocolate!
- Reishi - promotes calmness and helps the body adapt to stress(great for my fellow type A's!)
- Maca - great for balancing hormones
- Lucuma - contains 14 essential trace minerals
- Ashwaganda - improves thyroid & adrenal function and reduces anxiety
- Collagen - prevents wrinkles, improves gut health, and supports hair and nail growth
The great thing about adaptogenic superfoods is that you can pick herbs based on what you need! If you want to be calmer and less anxious, more focused, or increase your athletic performance there are adaptogens to do just the trick! I wrote a post all about these superfoods, so if you want more information, you can read all about them here.
If you're looking for some more healthy drink inspiration, try these!
- Superfood Maca Latte
- Honey Coconut Matcha Latte
- Oil-Free Bulletproof Coffee
- Iced Coconut Matcha
- Turmeric Chai Tea Latte
- Detox Charcoal Latte
This Superfood Hot Chocolate is a rich and creamy drink that you can pack with superfoods! Cacao powder alone will add antioxidants and minerals, but you can also add more superfoods to supercharge this hot chocolate! Below are some of my favorite superfoods and adaptogens to add, but you can easily tailor it to suit your needs!
- Add the non dairy milk and dates into a saucepan. Heat over medium heat until steaming.
- While the milk is heating up, add the cacao powder and any herbs you are using to a high-speed blender. Add in the milk, and blend until smooth. When blending, place a towel over the top of the blender and place a hand on it to keep it in place. Pour into glasses and serve!
Keywords: dairy-free, gluten-free, chocolate, superfood, healthy, easy, date, naturally sweetened