Vegan Elote or Mexican Street Corn, are grilled to perfection, topped with a flavorful chili mayo and cashew parmesan.
This post is sponsored by Dandy®. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Darn Good Veggies!
My favorite food growing up was corn. My favorite food as a grown up is this corn. It is sweet and crisp with just the right amount of chili and lime. Vegan parmesan takes it over the top. And if you’re me, extra cilantro and lime juice are a must.
It’s sweet, salty, creamy, savory, summer side dish perfection!
Reasons to love this recipe!
- Can be made outdoors on a grill or inside with a cast iron grill pan.
- Is vegan, gluten free, and secretly healthy!
- Comes together in under 30 minutes and pairs with so many dishes.
Ingredients and Substitutions:
- Corn – Dandy Sweet Corn is incredibly sweet, crisp, and perfect for this recipe.
- Vegan parmesan – recipe included below, or grab some vegan store-bought parmesan. For the homemade version, you’ll need raw cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and salt.
- Vegan mayo – or regular mayo if not avoiding eggs.
- Ancho chili powder – makes the BEST elote. It is smoky, sweet, and only mildly spicy. You can also use guajillo chili powder. In a pinch, use regular chili powder.
- Garlic – one clove or substitute ⅛th teaspoon garlic powder.
- Lime juice – fresh squeezed only! Plus wedges for serving.
- Chipotle powder – optional but adds another layer of mild smoky spice.
- Salt – to bring out the flavors.
- Cilantro – for flavor and color!
How to make vegan elote:
Make the vegan parmesan: Pulse the cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic powder and salt in a small food processor (or blender) until it resembles grated parm.
Stir together the chili mayo: Add the ingredients to a bowl and stir until smooth.
Grill the corn: Place the corn on a medium-high grill, or grill pan, and cook on all sides until the corn is cooked through and has prominent grill marks.
Assemble and enjoy: Spread the corn with chili mayo, sprinkle with parmesan, ancho chili powder, and cilantro. Enjoy!
Fridge: Store any leftover corn and chili mayo separately in the fridge. Store parmesan at room temperature for 1-2 months and in the fridge for up to 4 months.
Reheat the corn before adding toppings.
Freezer: freezer storage is not recommended for this recipe.
- No grill? No problem! A cast iron grill pan works great! They are smaller in size, so note that you will likely have to cook the corn in batches.
- Can’t find ancho chili powder? Use chili powder instead, but start small and work your way up. Most store-bought chili powders are spicier than ancho chili powder.
What to serve with Elote?
More Delicious Corn recipes!
- Sweet Corn Potato Salad
- Vegan Enchilada Lasagna
- Sweet Corn Avocado Toast
- California Burger
- Gluten Free Cornbread – no fresh corn, but still corny :)
Vegan Elote, or Mexican Street Corn, are grilled to perfection, topped with a flavorful chili mayo and cashew parmesan.
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
Vegan parmesan: Pulse the cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic powder and salt in a small food processor (or blender) until it resembles grated parm.
Chili mayo: In a bowl, stir together the mayo, ancho chili powder, garlic, lime juice, optional chipotle powder and salt until smooth.
Corn: Place the corn on a medium-high grill, or grill pan, and cook on all sides until the corn is cooked and has grill marks, about 4 minutes per side.
Assemble: Spread the corn with chili mayo, sprinkle with parmesan, ancho chili powder, and cilantro. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 corn
- Calories: 242
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 321mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: corn, parmesan, chili mayo, cilantro, lime, ancho, chipotle, cashew, nutritional yeast, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free,