This 5 ingredient Healthy Peppermint Mocha is a paleo and vegan drink recipe that tastes just like the one at Starbucks! Naturally sweetened and loaded with antioxidants!
Back in college, it is pretty safe to say I was hooked on peppermint mochas. Rain or shine, snow or ice, my friends and I would pile into cars and head to Starbucks for our daily holiday drink. While eggnog and gingerbread lattes were the cup of choice for some of my friends, they couldn't hold a candle to my beloved peppermint mocha.
As I got older I realized that high dose of sugar and caffeine made me feel less than my best. I started searching for a way to make this holiday staple healthier. The thought of giving up that sweet chocolate and smooth peppermint flavored mocha just didn't stand a chance!
That's where this Healthy Peppermint Mocha comes in. It has all the flavor and none of the guilt. I might even be so bold as to say it is good for you.
Reasons to love this recipe:
- It's made with 5 ingredients and ready in 10 minutes.
- No espresso machine required.
- A cozy paleo and vegan drink that everyone will love!
Ingredients and Substitutions:
- Almond milk - or soy milk (my personal fave!), oat milk, etc.
- Cacao powder - or cocoa powder
- Maple syrup - or another liquid sweetener like agave or stevia. You can use honey too, but it will alter the flavor.
- Peppermint extract - or mint
- Coffee - strongly brewed coffee, espresso, or instant coffee all work here!
How to make a peppermint mocha:
Brew the coffee: Brew your coffee or espresso and mix it with the cacao powder, maple, and peppermint extract until smooth.
Heat the milk: Heat the milk in a saucepan until steaming. Pour in the coffee mixture and stir to combine.
Yes! Feel free to use your favorite sweetener. Here are some options and amounts:
- Stevia: 3-5 drops of this liquid stevia. Use this sweetener for a sugar free peppermint mocha.
- Honey: 1-2 tablespoons. This will change the flavor, but does make this drink paleo.
- Sugar: 1-2 tablespoons of regular or coconut sugar. You will need to whisk this longer, making sure the sugar dissolves completely.
Can I use espresso?
More drinks to love!
- Coconut Sugar Dalgona Coffee
- Toasted Coconut Latte
- 3 Ways to Make a Matcha Latte
- Superfood Hot Chocolate
This 5 ingredient Peppermint Mocha tastes just like Starbucks but is secretly healthy! Naturally sweetened and loaded with antioxidants!
- 3 cups almond milk
- ½ cup strong brewed coffee or 4 shots of espresso
- 1-3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- scant ⅛th teaspoon peppermint extract
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk until it starts to steam.
- While the milk is heating, stir together the coffee, cacao powder, maple syrup, and mint extract. Pour into the milk and whisk to combine.
- Serve in mugs topped with optional coconut whipped cream and crushed candy canes.
- Serving Size: ½ recipe (with 1 tablespoons maple syrup per serving)
- Calories: 147
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 272mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: almond milk, maple syrup, mint extract, cacao powder, vegan, gluten free, paleo