Gluten Free Almond Biscotti are baked until golden brown and dunked in rich chocolate. This vegan cookie recipe uses just one flour!
Biscotti was one of those things we always had in our home growing up. My mom would make a huge batch of almond biscotti and stash it in a cookie jar. We would grab a cookie when we sat down with a cup of tea, or whenever we needed a sweet fix. Which was often :)
My mom’s biscotti dunked into a glass of cold milk until it softened up just enough enough to melt in my mouth is still one of my favorite food memories.
This Gluten Free Almond Biscotti recipe is a riff off that childhood favorite! Each cookie is infused with both chopped almonds and almond extract. Since biscotti is usually a lightly sweetened cookie, they needed to be jazzed up for the holidays. Each biscotti gets a dunk into rich chocolate. It adds the perfect extra punch of sweetness that every Christmas cookie needs.
The trick to perfectly light and crisp Gluten Free Almond Biscotti, without creating a dense log, is baking the cookies twice. This extra step is worth every crunchy bite.
The first time the cookies are baked, you form them into a loaf on the sheet pan. After they bake, they will need to cool and firm up for a few minutes before you slice that loaf into individual cookies. A second bake creates perfectly golden brown and crunchy Gluten Free Almond Biscotti.
These cookies are actually made with only one flour, making them a breeze to whip up! For this recipe, we will take a break from our GF cookie flour blend. Our Gluten Free Almond Biscotti need a heavier flour to achieve the perfect crisp biscotti texture. Sorghum flour, which I first discovered in this recipe, is just the ticket! It has a subtle sweet flavor and the idea texture.
Dunk away, my friends! Preferably in a big mug full to the brim with a Healthy Peppermint Mocha.Print
Gluten Free Almond Biscotti are baked until golden brown and dunked in rich chocolate. This easy vegan cookie recipe uses just sorghum flour instead of a complex blend! A perfect Christmas cookie idea!
- 2 cups gluten free sorghum flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ cup almond butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking tray with a silicone mat or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sorghum flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Add the sugar and coconut oil to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium high until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Turn the mixer off and add the almond butter, vanilla, and almond extract. Beat on medium until well incorporated, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add in the half of the flour mixture and beat on medium-low until there are no streaks of flour left. Add in the second half and repeat. Scrape the bowl if needed and beat again. Add in the chopped almonds and mix one last time until they are mixed through the batter.
- Divide the dough in half and use your hands to form it into two rectangles on the baking sheet, about 1 inch tall and 5 inches wide. Bake for 20 minutes and then remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 30 minutes. While the biscotti is cooling, reduce the oven to 300 degrees.
- Once the biscotti has cooled, transfer the loafs to a cutting board. Cut the biscotti into ¾ inch slices and place them back on the baking tray. Bake for 40 minutes or until the biscotti are golden brown. Remove from the oven and the let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Dip the bottoms in melted dark chocolate, if desired, and allow the chocolate to set before serving.
When making biscotti, some of the steps can sound really confusing! I love this post for great visuals with every step.
- Serving Size: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0