Veggie Tots are baked until they are golden brown and crispy. Easy, healthy, and loaded with a sneaky serving of vegetables!
These crispy, salty, perfectly browned and crunchy tots with just the right amount of salt that are ready and waiting to be drug through ketchup.
These tots start with quinoa - which gives them their signature crunch. Then to that we add in chopped broccoli, carrot, and sweet peas. The food processor chops these nutritious vegetables into tiny bits (hello time saver!), so picky kiddos or suspicious spouses won't even know what hit them.
So bake 'em, dunk 'em, dip 'em, eat 'em and most importantly know you are getting in your grains and veggies in the perfect bite sized, crave-able crunchy, snack.
Reasons to love this recipe!
- Each tot packs in sneaky vegetables - your kids (or husbands) won't know what hit them!
- They reheat well in the oven or air fryer.
- Are the perfect side to burgers, sandwiches, and more!
- Naturally vegan and gluten free.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Cooked quinoa - you can buy pre-cooked to save time.
- Garbanzo bean flour - this flour has just the right consistancy to hold these tots together without eggs. I do not recommend using any other flours.
- Broccoli - or try cauliflower!
- Carrots - or another firm root vegetable like beets, sweet potato, parsnips, etc.
- Peas - or edamame. For both options use frozen.
- Seasonings: nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and salt - add great flavor!
How to make veggie tots:
Prep quinoa: Cook the quinoa according to the package directions.
Mix: Mix together the garbanzo bean flour, water, and seasonings. Pulse the veggies in the food processor until finely chopped. Stir into the flour and water mixture.
Form and bake: Using wet hands, form the mixture into tot shaped logs, about 1 inch in length. Line them up on a parchment lined baking sheet. Spray with olive oil and bake until golden, turning halfway through.
Veggie tots in the air fryer
These tots are best baked and then reheated in the air fryer until crisp and warmed through.
Fridge: Store leftover tots in the fridge for 5-7 days. To reheat, cook in a 400 degree oven, or toaster oven, until golden and warmed through, about 15 minutes. Or in a 375 degree air fryer for 8-12 minutes.
Freezer: Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat from frozen following the instructions above, adding 5-10 minutes to the cooking time.
What to serve with veggie tots?
These tots pair well with sandwiches, burgers, toasts, and more!
- Loaded Cream Cheese Veggie Sandwich
- Vegan Egg Salad Sandwich
- Smokey Tempeh Sandwich
- Vegan Tuna Sandwich
- Vegan Pizza Burgers
- Mediterranean Chickpea Burgers
More veggie packed recipes for picky eaters!
- Sneaky Greens Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding - promise you can't taste the spinach!
- Spinach Ricotta Ravioli - does anyone complain about veggies paired with cheese and pasta?
- Vegetable Pot Pie - or paired cream sauce and flaky pie crust?
- California Burger - a veggie patty, sweet corn salsa, and guacamole to satisfy the pickiest of eaters!
Veggie Tots are an easy and healthy 10 ingredient recipe that get baked until they are golden brown and crispy. Loaded with a sneaky serving of vegetables!
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked according to the package directions
- ¾ cup garbanzo bean flour
- ½ cup water
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- Optional parsley and salt flakes to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prep a sheet pan with nonstick spray.
- Cook the quinoa according to the package directions.
- While the quinoa is cooking, whisk together the garbanzo bean flour and water in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Add the broccoli, carrot, and peas to a food processor. Process until the vegetables are small bits, similar in size to quinoa. Add them into the garbanzo bean mixture along with the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and salt along with the cooked quinoa. Mix well.
- Using your hands, form the mixture into tot shaped logs. Place the on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Flip the tots over and bake for another 15-20 or until the tots are golden brown and crispy. Serve.
- Serving Size: ⅙th recipe
- Calories: 169
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 617mg
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: broccoli, carrot, pea, quinoa, garlic, nutritional yeast, crispy, easy, vegetable, oven, air fryer,